Heads-up on the Upcoming JMRI 2.11.1 Development Release

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
      The long awaited 2.11.1 Development Release is going to hit the streets soon. Those of us that follow these releases are accustomed to getting in the on the latest and greatest with little risk of coming across more than a minor issue or two. While safe to try out (otherwise the developers wouldn't make it public), 2.11.1 will pose a higher risk than normal of creating hick-ups in assorted places. You don't want to install it the day before the big Open House :-)

      Over the past few months the developers have setup a series of automated tools to help test the code on a daily basis. These automated tests found numerous issues that needed attending to, some minor, some more serious. The upshot of all this is, the code is more solid than ever, but has undergone lots of little changes in lots of places. As you well know, sometimes changes in one place can have consequences in other places which are hard to predict in advance. The developers have already fixed a few issues that popped up right away when Bob made up the Release Candidate last week, but there are surely more things that none of us have come across yet

      All this to say that it's really important to let the installer make backups of your user files (it's normally checked by default when going from an older version to a newer version) if you decide to try out 2.11.1, just in case something unexpected happens. This is especially true for folks who are currently doing a lot of editing to their panels, as panels generally aren't backward compatible to older versions of JMRI once they are saved using a newer version

      So what's new in 2.11.1, aside from lots of fixes? Lots!

      2.11.1 marks the beginning of an exciting new era with the introduction of the JMRI Simple Server. This adds multiple computer support to the JMRI toolkit, so multiple machines can share a common set of layout connections. As you might guess, we're talking the first baby steps at this point, but the current implementation _should_ pass turnout, sensor, light and layout power data between multiple computers and looks quite easy to setup. It has not gone through extensive testing, so expect some bumps at first

      2.11.1 also continues down the road of allowing multiple layout connections for a given type. LocoNet got done first so large clubs/layouts could setup two LocoNet buses, one for cabs and one for signal/turnout traffic. Currently the developers are working on NCE.

      I haven't tried it yet, but one side benefit of this work is that it appears you can now choose on dual NCE/LocoNet installations which bus you want the Programming commands to go to. Handy for those times you need to temporarily route the programming commands to the LocoNet while setting up a new stationary decoder

      When do we get try out the cool new stuff you ask? ... Best guess, sometime in the next 2 weeks

      Steve Brooks
      Lansing Model Railroad Club
    • Jim A.
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
        Steve:

        Your timing on this post is great I was wondering where 2.11 was, it's been a little longer than usual in coming.

        I suspected that might be something do to the possibility of the big plunge into pre 3.0 and some really fundamental changes in system support level. IE: the change to the Java version needed, minimum 1.6.nn dropping some older hardware and OS support, like PPC Mac's or less than WinXP.

        Look forward to getting my feet wet... It's so nice to have two computers dedicated to the B&CRR... so much safer to play...

        Jim Albanowski

        <snip>
      • Xavier GEILLON
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
          Steve,

          Thank you for this roadmap and specially the annoucement of the JMRIServer features that will be a great tool for large and multipe player's layout.

          Something that is not present is the correct support (agai) of the Fleischmann Twin Center / Uhlenbrock Intelliboc through their serial interface: has this been reviewd at any time ?

          Thank you again for your great job anyway,

          Xavier,

          --
          xavier.geillon@...
          http://pagesperso-orange.fr/geillon

        • Stephen
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
            Hey Xavier,

            I believe Bob is working on the Intelliboc issue. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in on where things stand

            BTW - When mentioning the ongoing work to add support for multiple instances of the same layout connection type I left out XPressNet. At this point in time LocoNet has multiconnection support, while NCE and XPressNet are in the pipeline

            Steve

            --- In jmriusers@yahoogroups.com, Xavier GEILLON <xavier.geillon@...> wrote:

            > Steve,
            >
            > Thank you for this roadmap and specially the announcement of the JMRIServer features that will be a great tool for large and multiple player's layout.
            >
            > Something that is not present is the correct support (again) of the Fleischmann Twin Center / Uhlenbrock Intelliboc through their serial interface: has this been reviewed at any time ?
            >
            > Thank you again for your great job anyway,
            >
            > Xavier,
            >
            > --
            > xavier.geillon@...
            > http://pagesperso-orange.fr/geillon

          • Chuck Catania
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
              Steve,

              Will I be able to run DecoderPro 2.11.x on my Macintosh G5 (PowerMac7,2) running OSX 10.4.11 and java version "1.5.0_19" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

              Thanks,
              Chuck Catania
            • Bob Jacobsen
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
                On Oct 8, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Chuck Catania wrote:

                > Will I be able to run DecoderPro 2.11.x on my Macintosh G5 (PowerMac7,2) running OSX 10.4.11 and java version "1.5.0_19" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

                Yes. JMRI 2.11.* and JMRI 2.12/3.0 will work on that. Not clear what happens after that, though.

                Bob

                --
                Bob Jacobsen, UC Berkeley
                jacobsen@... +1-510-486-7355 fax +1-510-643-8497 AIM, Skype JacobsenRG
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
                  Hi Xavier

                  First tests of JMRI 2.11 with Intellibox using serial connexion were not OK.

                  But Bob just sent this morning (CET) a new 2.11.1 exe file I'll test this weekend with the Intellibox. More news once tested.

                  Regards.

                  Alain355 on french RR Web sites (see my club RR here http://www.club-ccac.fr/ )

                  --- In jmriusers@yahoogroups.com, Xavier GEILLON <xavier.geillon@...> wrote:

                  > Steve,
                  >
                  > Thank you for this roadmap and specially the annoucement of the JMRIServer features that will be a great tool for large and multipe player's layout.
                  >
                  > Something that is not present is the correct support (agai) of the Fleischmann Twin Center / Uhlenbrock Intelliboc through their serial interface: has this been reviewd at any time ?
                  >
                  > Thank you again for your great job anyway,
                  >
                  > Xavier,
                  >
                  > --
                  > xavier.geillon@...
                  > http://pagesperso-orange.fr/geillon

                • Walter Thompson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
                    Group:
                    We are now on the third attempt to get a good release of 2.11.1 into your hands. A lot of bugs have been taken care of but I encourage you to load and install when it comes out so that any other problems can be found and fixed.

                    Walt

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 10, 2010
                      With 2.11.1 just around the corner I thought I'd list out a few more highlights ...

                      - The previously mentioned JMRI Simple Server to allow multiple computers to share a common set of layout connections

                      - The new JMRI System Console takes the place of the Windows Console. The Windows Console didn't always auto-minimize properly and would close JMRI without going through the normal shutdown procedures if someone accidentally clicked on the close button. The JMRI System Console is available from the Help menu. As with most of the menu items, you can also setup it up in Preference to autostart with JMRI. It displays the same information as the old Windows Console, is easy to resize and has a button to simplify the task of copying text to the clipboard

                      - Numerous improvements to the Layout, Panel and Control Panel Editors primarily related to: Making the user interfaces and options available more consistent across the 3 editors, making it easier to copy/cut/paste objects on the panels, and adding ability to set the background color without having to import a background image

                      - The Layout Editor used to jump up to 100% CPU utilization when moving the mouse or updating information on the panel, particularly on older hardware, this is no longer the case

                      - Numerous improvements to Operations

                      - Several improvements to Throttles

                      - Huge update to JMRI translations into other languages

                      You can look over the full list yourself here

                      http://jmri.sourceforge.net/releasenotes/jmri2.11.1.shtml