Re: LI101f and Decoder Pro

  • uczricb
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
      Thanks Phill,

      Very helpful. Trust all is well there in Aus!

      Best regards

      Ian

      --- In jmriusers@yahoogroups.com, Phill Perry <phill_perry@b...>
      wrote:
      > Right click "My Computer" Click "Properties" Click on
      the "Hardware Tab"
      > Click "Device Manager" Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)", right click on
      the
      > appropriate com port, click "Properties" then click on the
      tab "Port
      > Settings"
      >
      > Hope this helps
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Phill Perry
      > Brisbane Australia
      >
      > Union Pacific, Digitrax Chief II

      LI101
      > > has
      > > >
      > > > Usually, that wouldn't work at all, but you do need to make
      sure
      > > they
      > > > match.
      > > >
      > > > It's possible that because of the way the LI101 is configured
      > > > (completely through software) that it does work to a certain
      > > extent at
      > > > 9200bps.

      > > about
      > > this
      > > >
      > > > Remember, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
      > > Some of
      > > > us are quite familiar with how these things work.
      > > >
      > > > Paul
      > > >
      > > > --

      > > _________
      > > >
      > > > "Quality is a Characteristic of thought and statement
      that
      > > > is recognized by a nonthinking process. Because
      > > > definitions are a product of rigid formal thinking,
      > > > quality cannot be defined."
      > > > Robert M. Pirsig
      > > > Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.

    • paul.bender@acm.org
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
        Hi Jaap,

        On 2 Sep, Jaap Griep wrote:
        > You not be the only one.
        > I bought last week this interface and got even by 19.200 problems with
        > my layout.
        > I did sent it back to my dealer and ask my money back.

        Did you try adjusting the settings on either the computer or the LI101?
        JMRI defaults to 9600 baud for Lenz, since that's what the majority of
        lenz's interfaces support by default.

        > The problem is the pour data communication from Lenz.
        > There is still a problem with the CTS (clear to send) from the command
        > station.

        That's interesting, and the first I've heard of such a problem on the
        LI101. Incidentally, CTS, or any other serial signals are not initiated
        by the command station. The command station asks each device in turn if
        it has any data available, and at that point, the LI10x sets the CTS
        line to indicate it's ok to send.

        > I hope that they realize now that protocol must be corrected.
        > The best solution is still the LI100 or better the LI100F.
        > That's my advice.

        Well, that would be an option, but Lenz is no longer making either the
        LI100 or the LI100F.

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
          Afraid I've struck another problem with this and wonder if anyone
          could advise me...

          My new laptop doesn't have a com port. I've bought a USB/RJ32
          adaptor and have installed it on my machine. Should this work OK ?
          I still can't get a connection to the LZV101 (it appears as central
          unit not known on the Lenz), although the red led still lights
          constantly on the LI101f.

          Don't know if this is relevant, but although I only have one USB
          connected, I get (incorrect) readings from the Lenz programme when
          set to COM 3 or COM 4 - the computer itself thinks it is using COM
          4. I get a correct 'no device' reading from any other COM options on
          the Lenz programme. In addition, the readings I get from COM 3 and 4
          show the Xpressnet address as either 99 or 1 but I can't read or
          write to the network.

          Sorry for the long message - I feel a bit out of my depth here, but
          really want to get it working!

          Thanks,

          Ian Bartlett

          _________

          > "Quality is a Characteristic of thought and statement that
          > is recognized by a nonthinking process. Because
          > definitions are a product of rigid formal thinking,
          > quality cannot be defined."
          > Robert M. Pirsig
          > Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
        • Jaap Griep
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
            Hello Paul,

            First I'm using a Dutch program named Koploper which set the baud rate
            with his software to 9600, 19200 etc.
            So my serial ports are set correct.

            Further I got a reaction from Lenz which is here below.

            Following are some problems which can occur when writing software for
            the pc or
            when using li101f (as enduser):
            1.
            Use of a usb-to-rs232 converter since a notebook is to be used without a
            rs232
            port. The interface function cannot be guaranteed when using such
            adapters
            since it strongly depends on the the quality of its implementation if it
            works
            safely or not. The rs232 ports need defined voltage levels and also a
            defined
            handshake timing which is only software generated in case of usb
            adapters.
            2.
            Use of a selfmade cable which does not allow the handshake to work
            properly.
            This leads to a situation where most of the time everything works, but
            sometimes a command seems to be missed or sometimes the communication
            breaks
            down. This depends on the quality/strategy of the failure mechanism in
            the pc
            program (check and handling of buffer overflow, clearing of buffers
            after
            overflow, find the next correct header byte of an answer etc.)
            3.
            PC serial port is not set to use hardware handshake or the handshake is
            not
            implemented correctly in the pc program (if a selfmade handshake is used
            by the
            programmer)
            4.
            Baudrate of li101f is set too high so that the pc program cannot handle
            the
            incoming data flow correctly. If problems occur, reset li101f to
            19200baud and
            set the pc serial port ALSO to 19200 baud. This is absolutely fast
            enough for
            even larger layouts. Use the li101f windows setup program which is on
            the cd to
            check the communication. If there is everything ok and you see the
            version
            numbers of central unit, the communication is stable and is working.

            Did you try adjusting the settings on either the computer or the LI101?
            JMRI defaults to 9600 baud for Lenz, since that's what the majority of
            lenz's interfaces support by default.

            That's interesting, and the first I've heard of such a problem on the
            LI101. Incidentally, CTS, or any other serial signals are not initiated

            by the command station. The command station asks each device in turn if
            it has any data available, and at that point, the LI10x sets the CTS
            line to indicate it's ok to send.

            The LZ100 send the commands to the LF10xx and the LF10xx is just the
            interface for handling the levels likewise a modem.
            But there is a problem with the CTS signal which can give lost data in
            the transfer by higher baud rates.

            Well, that would be an option, but Lenz is no longer making either the
            LI100 or the LI100F.

            We should see if the LF101 will be sold as hamburgers. Hopefully for
            Lenz.

            Regards, Jaap

            .

          • paul.bender@acm.org
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
              Jaap,

              let me address some of these points.

              On 3 Sep, Jaap Griep wrote:
              > First I'm using a Dutch program named Koploper which set the baud rate
              > with his software to 9600, 19200 etc.
              > So my serial ports are set correct.

              perhaps, perhaps not.... you should never assume the program is doing
              things correctly.

              > Further I got a reaction from Lenz which is here below.
              >
              > Following are some problems which can occur when writing software for
              > the pc or
              > when using li101f (as enduser):
              > 1. Use of a usb-to-rs232 converter since a notebook is to be used without
              > a rs232 port. The interface function cannot be guaranteed when using such
              > adapters since it strongly depends on the the quality of its implementation if
              > it works safely or not. The rs232 ports need defined voltage levels and also a
              > defined handshake timing which is only software generated in case of usb
              > adapters.

              Actually, this one is a problem in general. Some of the USB to RS232
              converters just don't work right. The same problem can exist with the
              LI100 and LI100F.

              > 2. Use of a selfmade cable which does not allow the handshake to work
              > properly. This leads to a situation where most of the time everything works,
              > but sometimes a command seems to be missed or sometimes the communication
              > breaks down. This depends on the quality/strategy of the failure mechanism in
              > the pc program (check and handling of buffer overflow, clearing of buffers
              > after overflow, find the next correct header byte of an answer etc.)

              I can see where this would cause problems. Not all of the serial lines
              are needed for all devices. It's possible to have a serial connection
              with only three wires (send,recieve,and ground). A cable like that
              would not work with the LI10x

              > 3. PC serial port is not set to use hardware handshake or the handshake
              > is not implemented correctly in the pc program (if a selfmade handshake is
              > used by the programmer)

              Again, this is a standard serial problem, and not specific to the LI10x.

              > 4. Baudrate of li101f is set too high so that the pc program cannot
              > handle the incoming data flow correctly. If problems occur, reset li101f
              > to 19200baud and set the pc serial port ALSO to 19200 baud. This is
              > absolutely fast enough for even larger layouts. Use the li101f windows
              > setup program which is on the cd to check the communication. If there is
              > everything ok and you see the version numbers of central unit, the
              > communication is stable and is working.

              Data rate settings can be a problem. A More likely scenario than the
              program not being able to handle the data rate is that the UART on the
              serial port can't handle it.

              Also, remember the LI101 is the first Lenz computer interface that
              supported higher than 19,200bps. Since the hardware didn't support it,
              none of the code supported it either (or at least nobody would let you
              set it that way), so it is possible to have an LI101 set to a speed that
              your software can't handle.

              > We should see if the LF101 will be sold as hamburgers. Hopefully for
              > Lenz.

              I don't see why, all of the problems Lenz mentioned to you are general
              serial problems. Most of these actually appear in the XPressNet
              Documentation under the heading "Special PC programing considerations".

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                On 3 Sep, uczricb wrote:
                > My new laptop doesn't have a com port. I've bought a USB/RJ32
                > adaptor and have installed it on my machine. Should this work OK ?

                I've never actually used one of the USB to RS232 adapters. you may want
                to read the advice about KeySpan adaptors on the JMRI page.

                > I still can't get a connection to the LZV101 (it appears as central
                > unit not known on the Lenz), although the red led still lights
                > constantly on the LI101f.

                Ok, the light coming on is a good thing. If you hit the emergency stop
                button on your hand held throttle, do you get a flashing light on the
                LI101F? If that's the case, then the communications problem is
                definitely on the PC side (which I think it is anyway).

                > Don't know if this is relevant, but although I only have one USB
                > connected, I get (incorrect) readings from the Lenz programme when
                > set to COM 3 or COM 4 - the computer itself thinks it is using COM
                > 4. I get a correct 'no device' reading from any other COM options on

                I wouldn't worry too much about this. Which com port IDs get assigned
                to your USB-RS232 adapter are probably determined in the driver that
                controls it.

                > the Lenz programme. In addition, the readings I get from COM 3 and 4
                > show the Xpressnet address as either 99 or 1 but I can't read or
                > write to the network.

                ok, 99 is no good, since XPressNet devices can only be in the 1-31
                range (well 0-31, but 0 is the command station). It still sounds like
                one of the settings is off to me, though it could be the USB to RS232
                adapter

                I'll think awhile and see if I can come up with any ideas as to what to
                try...

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                  Paul,
                  Strait forward.
                  I used my layout with the LF100F with 19200K. Everything worked perfect.
                  Swapped the LF100F for the LF101 en set it to 19200 with the Lenz
                  software.
                  I got contact via my PC to the LZ100 by clicking on my screen layout of
                  my layout.
                  It was possible to reach all turnarounds.
                  Than I set the option automatic run so that all trains coming to move
                  and the LF101 lost his address and hangs.

                  Regards, Jaap

                  ______

                  "Quality is a Characteristic of thought and statement that
                  is recognized by a nonthinking process. Because
                  definitions are a product of rigid formal thinking,
                  quality cannot be defined."
                  Robert M. Pirsig
                  Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                  063576:HM/A=1693352/R=0/SIG=11tralmvc/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqs
                  o=60178293&partid=3170658> click here

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                  pmail/S=:HM/A=1693352/rand=438283993>

                • uczricb
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                    Hi Paul,

                    Well, I've tried a laptop with a Com port and haven't had much
                    success, despite setting the baud rates on both the machine itself
                    and using the LI101f setup to 19200.

                    I am finding the following occurs almost every time:

                    1) Start up LI101f tool and read back from command station.
                    Connection seemingly correctly established as command station and
                    Xpressnet address identified.

                    2) Start up Decoder Pro.

                    3) Click Use Programmer.

                    4) Programmer seems to work OK, although only at 19200, not any other
                    baud rate setting - settings always equal on Com port and LI101f.
                    Managed to write a speed table and read addresses back OK.

                    5) Open up new throttle window. On one occasion, using loco straight
                    after programming, this worked but on others no response at all.

                    6) click back to Lenz tool and click 'read' and get instant message
                    saying that Com port is in use by another programme.

                    7) Exit Decoder Pro, then click read on Lenz tool. Cannot find
                    Command Station.

                    8) Unplug and immediately replug LI101f from Xpressnet and
                    click 'read' on tool programme and command station is read again.

                    The problem generally seems to occur once using the throttle, but
                    programming also gives unreliable connection.

                    One thing you mentioned was that pressing the stop button on my LH100
                    should make the red led flash - it doesn't, just stays constantly
                    lit. Do you think I may just have a faulty LI101f ?

                    Sorry for all these questions. Having had continuing problems
                    despite setting the baud rates correctly, I am coming round to the
                    view that it's the LI101f that is faulty. I think my difficulties
                    with the USB port are entirely separate and that I need a better
                    RS232 converter which allows appropriate handshaking.

                    If you have any ideas on the above, other than a faulty unit, I'd be
                    really grateful to hear them.

                    Thanks once again,

                    Ian Bartlett

                    ________

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                      HI Ian,

                      On 4 Sep, uczricb wrote:
                      > 6) click back to Lenz tool and click 'read' and get instant message
                      > saying that Com port is in use by another programme.

                      the Lenz tool should give you that message at this point.

                      > The problem generally seems to occur once using the throttle, but
                      > programming also gives unreliable connection.

                      That really does seem strange... I'm pretty much baffeled at this point.
                      I think I need to get my hands on one of the LI101's to see to see
                      what's going on...

                      Could you run one more test for me.
                      Start Decoder Pro (or the JMRI demo)
                      Open the XpressNet Monitor (this is in the XPressNet submenu of the
                      "Systems" menu)

                      Next Click the "Choose log file" button, and choose a log file to use
                      (you can use the default name, the important thing is to know where the
                      file is)

                      After you click save in the dialog box, click the "Start Logging" button
                      on the monitor.

                      Now, repeat the sequence of steps you went through that caused things to
                      go batty.

                      After that happens, but before you do anything to try to correct the
                      problem, click the stop logging button, and send me the log file (off
                      list please).

                      > One thing you mentioned was that pressing the stop button on my LH100
                      > should make the red led flash - it doesn't, just stays constantly
                      > lit. Do you think I may just have a faulty LI101f ?

                      Ok, it looks like I was wrong about that.

                      I was thinking the LI100F I have would blink when the power was off to
                      the track, but it's when the command station is in programing mode that
                      it does this. (look at page 4 of the LI101F manual). Try using a hand
                      held throttle to put the command station in programing mode.

                      > Sorry for all these questions. Having had continuing problems
                      > despite setting the baud rates correctly, I am coming round to the
                      > view that it's the LI101f that is faulty. I think my difficulties
                      > with the USB port are entirely separate and that I need a better
                      > RS232 converter which allows appropriate handshaking.

                      I'm begining to agree with you. There is one setting I haven't asked
                      about however. on the prefrences screen for Decoder Pro, is "Hardware
                      Flow Control" selected for the "LI100 Connection Uses" option?

                      After you get me the log file, try going into the prefrences screen and
                      changing that option to the value that isn't selected currently, and try
                      your sequence of events again (I'm not sure this will help, and we
                      really SHOULD be using Hardware Flow Control).

                      You may want to send a message to Debbie Ames (support@...) and see
                      if she's seen any problems like this already. If you do this, and she
                      is able to diagnose the problem, please let me know what the solution
                      is.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                        Hi Jaap,

                        On 4 Sep, Jaap Griep wrote:
                        > Strait forward.
                        > I used my layout with the LF100F with 19200K. Everything worked perfect.
                        > Swapped the LF100F for the LF101 en set it to 19200 with the Lenz
                        > software.
                        > I got contact via my PC to the LZ100 by clicking on my screen layout of
                        > my layout.
                        > It was possible to reach all turnarounds.
                        > Than I set the option automatic run so that all trains coming to move
                        > and the LF101 lost his address and hangs.

                        Ok, now this does sound like a potential problem with the LI101F.

                        If Lenz didn't change the data transmission characteristics (and
                        Debbie assures me they didn't), and the LI100F works at 19200bps,
                        then the LI101 should work at 19200bps as well.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 4, 2003
                          Hi Paul,

                          Having much improved success right now - trains are rolling! I'll
                          borrow the older laptop over the weekend to play with it a little and
                          test out your suggestions before embarking on switching over to the
                          other machine and using an improved USB/RS232 converter.

                          One thing I have found: when using the throttles which I have now
                          been able to, if I despatch one loco and try switching to another, I
                          can only start using the second loco after I have disconnected and
                          reconnected the LI101f from the Xpressnet...once I do this I can take
                          control of another loco. The same happens when I open a new throttle
                          window - I select the loco and then have to unplug/replug before
                          anything happens.

                          Also, I can only control a loco with the throttle if I have closed
                          the programming function down - would that be right? Seems sensible
                          as with the LH100 you can't programme on the programming track and
                          run on the main simultaneously.

                          As ever, thanks for your help...it was nice to get something moving
                          tonight. Closed the Lenz utility tool and just used Decoder Pro
                          which seemed better with a 19200 baud rate. Still get this nagging
                          feeling something is up with my LI101 though - the constant
                          unplugging/replugging of the Xpressnet doesn't seem right.

                          ________