File - How to ask questions

  • jmriusers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 69 , Mar 1, 2008
      ======================
      HOW to ask your question
      ======================

      One of the most common questions about JMRI is "How do I get it to work?" This isn't really a problem with JMRI itself in most cases, but there are HUGE numbers of possible configurations for DCC systems, and Windows, Linux, and Mac computers out there. Just asking "How do I get it to work" is _not_ going to get you any useful help. When asking _any_ question, you should utilize a subject line that indicates if the problem is related to DecoderPro, PanelPro, Tools or Scripting and include the following information:

      + Computer make and model
      + Computer Operating System
      + JAVA version installed
      + JMRI version installed
      + Interface device (if any)
      + DCC system in use (the specific model, not just the manufacturer)
      + Any other DCC devices in use
      + Com port in use (if any)
      + Baud Rate settings (if known)
      + Specific details of your difficulty, including error messages if any.

      Depending on the nature of the problem, you may need to supply even more information, but this is the absolute minimum required for anyone to give you accurate answers.

      Your moderators
    • Dave Heap
      Message 69 of 69 , Aug 3, 2014
        Walt, I obviously did not explain myself properly as you have misunderstood what I was saying. Please see my other response just posted.

        Sent from my iPad
        --
        Dave in Australia
        New England Convention 2014: