Re: [jmriusers] OLPC, Linux, RXTX, Java 1.6 all equal Catch-22

  • Dick Bronson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
      Bob,
      To answer your last question, I am successfully running JMRI with Ubuntu
      Gutsy and Java version 1.6.0_03. However that is not going to be the
      same as getting it going on your new XO box.

      I essentially followed the instructions as given on the JMRI web site as
      far as the Comm and RXTX information.
      http://jmri.sourceforge.net/install/Ubuntu.shtml

      I did run into one serious problem with the current version of the FTDI
      driver which is part of the current Linux kernel used by Gutsy. (2.6.22)
      That bug #121583 affects the LocoBuffer-USB because we use the FTDI
      chip, and it is not specific to Ubuntu. The Linux developers are aware
      of the problem, and the fix was completed for 2.6.23, but that has not
      yet been released as an update to Ubuntu. Of course this bug has nothing
      to do with JMRI other than afflicting our Linux users with yet another
      frustration in getting things going.

      I think part of what you are running into is the fact that Linux is not
      a unified world once you step away from the core program itself. How to
      get serial hardware up and running is not exactly the same from one
      flavor to another. Up until now there were essentially the Fedora and
      Ubuntu users, each with their specific details. Now you are mixing in
      whatever distro XO uses, but you are now out on the bleeding edge of
      things, and are probably not going to find anybody that has gone before
      you and left clear instructions for you to follow.

      Dick :)