Re: DecoderPro stalls on Launch

  • Bob Blackwell <afticarr@sympatico.ca>
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      A conflict between Palm's Hotsync Manager (Com 1) and DecoderPro is
      the likely culprit. Com1 and Com3 share the same IRQ, thus if you've
      DecoderPro is launched with Palm's Hotsync Manager loaded you're
      bound to encounter problems. If it's not already, close Palm's
      Hotsync Manager and see if the problem disappears.

      Bob

      --- In jmriusers@yahoogroups.com, "John Gibson <vito4cal@y...>"
      <vito4cal@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings:
      >
      > I downloaded the program (and Java) and it apparently installed
      > successfully. I got the first window, answered the set up
      > questions, including the selection of Com 3 (I have a palm on Com
      > 1), and saved the information.
      >
      > However, after I exited I have never been able to get back into
      the
      > program. The program stalls on start and I keep getting the
      > following error messages:
      >
      > ERROR – Called before load <>, stream_____ (this part was cut off
      of
      > my screen)____ not available [main]
      >
      > ERROR – get OutputScreen called befo _______ load < >, stream not
      > available [main]
      >
      > I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling, but I keep
      > getting the same error messages. Please advise – by the way I am
      > total novice at this so I would appreciate a dumbed down answer.
      =)

      > I am running Win XP Home Version
      > Connection is a MS100 on a 9/25 adaptor
      > Serial com 3
      >
      > Thank you very much for your help.
      >
      > John Gibson
    • Bob Jacobsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
        I think Bob Blackwell's suggestion is definitely the first thing to
        try if you have some other program listening to Comm1.

        Also, just to check, you might want to try stopping ports that are
        listening to Comm1 and then connecting the MS100 to Comm1. That's a
        pain for normal operation, of course, but it would be a good test of
        what's going wrong.

        In general, those messages mean that there's a conflict allocating
        the serial port to the program. There could also be some other
        program (e.g. for fax or similar) listening to Comm3; that would
        cause similar errors.

        Finally, if none of this gets the program to start, you can delete
        the preferences file (DecoderProConfig.xml). That will cause the
        program not to look at any port on startup, and just prompt you for
        the preferences again.

        Bob

        --------------
        Bob Jacobsen (Bob_Jacobsen@..., 510-486-7355, fax 510-495-2957)
      • John Gibson <vito4cal@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
          Bob:

          Thank you for the suggestion. I did not know about the sharing
          between Com1 and Com3. In any event, following you suggestion, I
          got the program to work but I had uninstall DecoderPro and then
          manually remove the remaining JMRI files - there were several still
          on the system even after an "uninstall". It was only after manually
          removing the remaining JMRI files was I able to get a clean install
          of DecoderPro that worked.

          Thank you again,

          John Gibson
          Rocklin, CA