Re: Timeout Error Update (further update)-reply

  • archhammie
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 3, 2005
      Dick,
      Good catch. Yes, completely powering down before changing the switch
      setting has enabled communication in Locobuffer mode.
      Unfortunately, I'm still getting the error. It appears to be related
      to the command station. Programming on the main does not change the
      error.

      Does anyone know if older implementations of DecoderPro supported
      other boosters? Or is there a way to manually create one?
      The following is a sample log of the actual error:

      Setting CV29 of Loco 6 to 2 (0x2)
      LONG_ACK: Function not implemented, no reply will follow
      Write Programming Track: Write Byte in OP's Mode (NO feedback)

      Thanks all for the support.
      Barry

      --- In jmriusers@yahoogroups.com, Dick Bronson <dick@r...> wrote:
      > Barry,
      > Did you power cycle the LocoBuffer-II when you changed the switch
      > settings? It only reads the switch state settings on power up. If
      it
      > works OK in MS100 mode, then it should also work at 19.2Kb in
      > LocoBuffer-II mode. As for the "programmer error" that may be
      because
      > the Big Boy doesn't support a program track as such and the
      DecoderPro
      > may be looking for some response that only the newer command
      stations
      > will give. Probably the DB150 is the closest unit, as it also does
      not
      > support a programming track. See if it will program on the main.
      >
      > Dick :)
      >
      > archhammie wrote:
      >
      > >Dick,
      > >I have the Locobuffer II with 8 dip switches. I followed Walt's
      > >advice and the unit passed the sanity test (I didn't).
      > >I'm not getting any red led blinking using the Locobuffer settings
      in
      > >Locobutter and DecoderPro. However, I do get red led blinking when
      > >set preferences to MS100 (both software and on the Locobuffer) and
      > >only dip switch 3 set on. However I get a "programmer error:
      > >requested not implemented on command station". This is true
      > >regardless of whether I pick Zephr, Empire, or Chief.
      > >
      > >I have an older Big Boy unit with a DB100 booster.
      > >
      > >Barry
      > >

      > ><snip>

    • archhammie
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 3, 2005
        Paul,
        I gave that a try, too. No dice. I have been able to establish
        communications. Dick correctly surmised that I had not fully powered
        down the locobuffer before throwing the switches. The real problem
        appears to be that the command station is not supported by the
        software, or is unable to accept software commands.

        Barry

        ________

        > "Quality is a Characteristic of thought and statement that
        > is recognized by a nonthinking process. Because
        > definitions are a product of rigid formal thinking,
        > quality cannot be defined."
        > Robert M. Pirsig
        > Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

      • Dick Bronson
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 3, 2005
          Barry,
          The next question is, does it actually write the change into the
          decoder. It may actually be doing so.

          If I remember correctly the Big Boy did not support a programming track.
          By that I mean a current limited track that will allow the read back of
          decoders. When you program using OPs mode (using the main DCC output of
          a booster) it can not give you any feedback. I think that is what the
          error is trying to tell you. If you need to use Decoder Pro to it's full
          capability, then you will need to spring some $$ for a Zephyr or a
          Chief, either of which will support a true service mode programming
          track. (can read back from decoders)

          archhammie wrote:

          >Dick,
          >Good catch. Yes, completely powering down before changing the switch
          >setting has enabled communication in Locobuffer mode.
          >Unfortunately, I'm still getting the error. It appears to be related
          >to the command station. Programming on the main does not change the
          >error.
          >
          >Does anyone know if older implementations of DecoderPro supported
          >other boosters? Or is there a way to manually create one?
          >The following is a sample log of the actual error:
          >
          >Setting CV29 of Loco 6 to 2 (0x2)
          >LONG_ACK: Function not implemented, no reply will follow
          >Write Programming Track: Write Byte in OP's Mode (NO feedback)
          >
          >Thanks all for the support.
          >Barry

        • Bernard Messenger
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 4, 2005
            Hi Guys,
            I tried this with my big boy with about the same result. It would
            not program or read back. The throtle,as well as power off and on
            worked as well as loconet monitoring and slot monitoring. That is as
            far as I went with it.Used the Pr-1 to read and write CVs. Bit the
            bullet and now have a DCS100 and the Db100+ is now a booster. All
            works well.
            Bernie M.

            --- In jmriusers@yahoogroups.com, Dick Bronson <dick@r...> wrote:
            > Barry,
            > The next question is, does it actually write the change into the
            > decoder. It may actually be doing so.
            >
            > If I remember correctly the Big Boy did not support a programming
            track.
            > By that I mean a current limited track that will allow the read back of
            > decoders. When you program using OPs mode (using the main DCC output of
            > a booster) it can not give you any feedback. I think that is what the
            > error is trying to tell you. If you need to use Decoder Pro to it's
            full
            > capability, then you will need to spring some $$ for a Zephyr or a
            > Chief, either of which will support a true service mode programming
            > track. (can read back from decoders)
            >
            > archhammie wrote:
            >
            > >Dick,
            > >Good catch. Yes, completely powering down before changing the switch
            > >setting has enabled communication in Locobuffer mode.
            > >Unfortunately, I'm still getting the error. It appears to be related
            > >to the command station. Programming on the main does not change the
            > >error.
            > >
            > >Does anyone know if older implementations of DecoderPro supported
            > >other boosters? Or is there a way to manually create one?
            > >The following is a sample log of the actual error:
            > >
            > >Setting CV29 of Loco 6 to 2 (0x2)
            > >LONG_ACK: Function not implemented, no reply will follow
            > >Write Programming Track: Write Byte in OP's Mode (NO feedback)
            > >
            > >Thanks all for the support.
            > >Barry

          • Andrew Cocker
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 4, 2005

              I tried my old Big Boy again with the latest version of JMRI and I get all
              the right communication and throttle control but it no longer works for
              programming no matter what I do. Must be something to do with the later
              releases of the software.

              Andrew

            • Bob Jacobsen
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 5, 2005
                Is there anybody with a Digitrax Big Boy set in northern California
                (say Santa Cruz to Sacramento) who would be willing to let me test a
                few things?

                It seems that the Big Boy is reacting in an unexpected way to some of
                the messages DecoderPro uses for programming. (Apparently it used to
                work, but no longer does, though there shouldn't have been any
                changes in that code in the intervening time). The best way to track
                something like that down is to actually see it happening, so that I
                can rapidly try some fixes to see what works.

                So if anybody would be willing to spend an afternoon watching me pull
                my hair out, please let me know.

                Bob
                --
                Bob_Jacobsen@... +1-510-486-7355 fax +1-510-643-8497 AIM, Skype JacobsenRG
              • Jon Miller
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 6, 2005
                  >Is there anybody with a Digitrax Big Boy set in northern California
                  (say Santa Cruz to Sacramento) who would be willing to let me test a
                  few things?<
                  Bob,
                  I have the booster DB100a, an LA2*, and a couple CT4s. This is a
                  Challenger. I think the only part that makes a Big Boy is a DT200 as it's
                  really the command station. I do have a DT200 chip as I did a conversion of
                  my DT200 to a DT100 and then sold it.

                  * Not sure what the difference is between a LA1 and an LA2.

                  Jon Miller
                  AT&SF
                  For me time has stopped in 1941
                  NMRA Life member #2623
                  Member SFRH&MS
                • Gregg
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Just curious, for the old loco buffer and XP, is it pin 6&20?
                    Thanks,
                    GS

                    --- In jmriusers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Jacobsen <Bob_Jacobsen@l...>
                    wrote:
                    > If this is an original LocoBuffer, you need to have the "XP
                    update"
                    > to the wiring made. It's a jumper on the back of the contacts for
                    > the 25-pin serial connector on the LocoBuffer PC card. The
                    symptom
                    > for this matches what you're seeing: Able to receive from the
                    > layout, but not to transmit to the layout.
                    >
                    > I _think_ it jumpers between pins 20 and 6, but am away from my
                    > notebook and am not certain.
                    >
                    > Bob
                    > --
                    > Bob_Jacobsen@l... +1-510-486-7355 fax +1-510-643-8497 AIM, Skype