JJdJ Dec 15, 05: Bulgarian Miracle

  • Irene A. Mystery
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2005
      Welcome to Jewish Joke du Jour!

      Please visit our sponsors. They keep JJdJ priceless!

      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/cam.htm

      The DigiVu Mini Digital Video Camera is just slightly
      larger than a cell phone, but is packed with huge
      features. It has a crystal clear color lcd display, digital
      zoom, a USB video out, and a free 32mb SD card.
      Capture an hour of video with no tapes required!
      This camera is so small and lightweight, it easily fits
      in your pocket or the palm of your hand.

      Soon, consumer electronics shows around the world
      will be featuring this ultra-lightweight digital video
      camera. Take advantage of our lowest price of the year.
      From DigiVu, a brand name synonymous with quality.
      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/cam.htm

      Dec 15, 2005 Volume 72, Issue 612

      Jewish Joke du Jour Table of Content

      o "Bulgarian Miracle"
      o Links du Jour

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      Miracles come in many shapes and forms...
      May you be blessed with miracles in your
      life... May you learn to recognize them...

      LadyHawke
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      Keep LadyHawke flying:
      Please support Joke du Jour.
      http://www.jokedujour.com/paypal.htm
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      "Bulgarian Miracle"

      A great many Jews know the story of how the Danes rescued 8,000 Jews
      from the Nazi's by smuggling them to Sweden in fishing boats.
      Very few Jews, including me, until yesterday, know the story of how
      all 50,000 Bulgarian Jews were saved. Not a single
      Bulgarian Jew was deported to the death camps, due to the heroism of
      many Bulgarians of every walk of life, up to and including the King and
      the Patriarch of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church.

      In 1999, Abraham Foxman, the National Director of the Anti Defamation
      League flew with a delegation to Sophia to meet the Bulgarian Prime
      Minister. He gave the Prime Minister the first Bulgarian language
      copy of a remarkable book, "Beyond Hitler's Grasp," written in 1998, by
      Michael Bar Zohar, a professor at Emory University. (A Bulgarian Jew
      who had migrated to Israel and then to the USA).

      This book documents the rescue effort in detail.
      The ADL paid for and shipped 30,000 copies to Bulgaria, so that the
      population could partake in the joy of learning about this heroic facet
      of their history.

      This story is clearly the last great secret of the
      Holocaust era. The story was buried by the Bulgarian Communists, until
      their downfall in 1991. All records were sealed, since they didn't
      wish to glorify the King, or the Church, or the non Communist
      parliamentarians, who at great personal risk stood up to the Germans.
      And the Bulgarian Jewish Community, 45,000 of whom went to Israel after
      the War, were busy building new lives, and somehow the story remained
      untold.

      Bulgaria is a small country and at the outset of the
      War they had 8 million people. They aligned themselves with the
      Nazi's in hopes of recapturing Macedonia from Yugoslavia and Thrace
      from Greece. Both provinces were stripped from them, after W.W.I.

      In late 1942 the Jews of Selonica were shipped north through
      Bulgaria, on the way to the death camps, in sealed box cars. The news
      of this inhumanity was a hot topic of conversation. Then, at the
      beginning of 1943, the pro Nazi Bulgarian government was informed that
      all 50,000 Bulgarian Jews would be deported in March. The Jews had
      been made to wear yellow stars and were highly visible.

      As the date for the deportation got closer, the
      agitation got greater. Forty-three ruling party members of Parliament
      walked out in protest. Newspapers denounced what was about to
      happen. In addition, the Patriarch of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church,
      Archbishop Kirili, threatened to lie down on the railroad tracks.
      Finally, King Boris III forbid the deportation.

      Since Bulgaria was an ally of Germany, and the Germans were
      stretched militarily, they had to wrestle with the problem of how much
      pressure they could afford to apply. They decided to pass.

      Several points are noteworthy. The Bulgarian Jews
      were relatively unreligious and did not stand apart from the local
      populace by virtue of garb, or rites. They were relatively poor by
      comparison to Jews in other countries, and they lived in integrated
      neighborhoods.

      Additionally, the Bulgarians had many minorities,
      Armenians, Turks, Greeks, and Gypsies, in addition to Jews. There was
      no concept of racism in that culture. The bottom line here is that
      Bulgarians saw Bulgarian-Jews as Bulgarians, and not as Jews.

      And, being a small country, like Denmark, where there was a
      closeness of community, that is often missing in larger countries. So,
      here was a bright spot that we can point to as example of what should
      have been. The most famous of those saved was a young graduate of the
      Bulgarian Military Academy. When he arrived in Israel, he changed his
      name to Moshe Dayan.

      "WE ALL DWELL IN THE HOUSE OF ONE ROOM......
      WEAR THE CLOTHES OF THE SAME SUN...................
      AND SEEK THE PLACE OF OUR SOUL"
      -- UNKNOWN

      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/voice.htm

      You talk, it types.
      IBM Via Voice 10 for Windows
      Powerful Voice Recognition Software

      + You talk it types, 150 words per minute
      + Easy 5 minute setup
      + Built-in tutorials teaches you how to use
      all the features quickly & easily
      + savers with virtually all windows programs
      (copy and paste to see list)
      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/voice.htm

      Limited Time offer

      -++ $29.99 ++-

      + Order Now +

      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/voice.htm

      Features

      * What You Say is What You Get
      + 160,000 word total vocabulary & special topics

      * Revise, edit and format text
      + savers in most PC applications

      * Operate e-mail by voice
      + Create, send & read e-mail by voice

      * Customize vocabulary
      + Enter complicated words you use frequently

      COOL BONUS - First 5,000 orders will receive
      a FREE VoiceClear Headset Microphone.

      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/voice.htm

      Links du Jour

      iPod giveaway ­ act today ! Special Promotion!
      2 Complimentary iPods
      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/ipod2.htm

      Unlike Cupid, We Work Every Day To Help
      You Find The Right One!
      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/cupid1.htm

      Have you gotten the brand new Playstation
      3 yet? It's awesome.
      As a special promotion, we are giving them away.
      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/ps3.htm

      We will give you a Toshiba®, IBM®, or Gateway®
      Laptop computer just for participating in our program
      and completing sponsor offers. Get started now:
      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/freelap.htm

      FIND THE RIGHT SCHOOL FOR YOU in just 30 seconds!
      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/smart.htm

      $10,000 Scholarship Giveaway!
      Dreaming of going to college?
      Free scholarship to help you achieve your career goals!
      http://www.jokedujour.com/ads/10K.htm

      Not already a Subscriber??? Subscribe NOW!
      Send a blank e-mail to JJdJ-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      or click here mailto:JJdJ-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Keep LadyHawke flying:
      Please support Joke du Jour. Thank you.
      link</a>
      https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=Webmistress@...
      <>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>
      SUBSCRIBE to our Newsletters:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Joke du Jour Funny Sex du Jour
      Jewish Joke du Jour Quote du Jour
      LadyHawke's Weekly Jokes
      http://www.jokedujour.com/subscribe.htm

      For Advertising & Sponsorship, write to
      mailto:Administrator@...?Subject=Ad_Rates_JJdJ

      VISIT our archives at http://www.jokedujour.com/archive.htm

      SUBMIT jokes to submission@...

      ///, //// Please visit our web pages at
      \ /, / / http://www.jokedujour.com
      \ /, _/ /
      \_ / _/ /
      \__/_ /
      />>> \_\ Personal web page is at
      /,)^_._\ http://www.ladyhawk.com
      (/

      If you have any problems unsubscribing this mailing list,
      in accordance with the 2004 Can-Spam act, you can contact me at:

      Ms. Irene A. Mystery
      Editor at Joke du Jour
      P. O. Box 6007
      Long Island City, NY 11106-0007