Open Mouth, Insert Foot!

  • Vinod G
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 7:41 PM
      Hi everybody, I'm new to this group and this quiz was originally intended for another group called quiznet. I'm posting it here 'cos i was asked to by a certain Vijay Thomas. (I really don't know anything abt. this group, so if this is not the kind of stuff that is usually sent then pls forgive). But I hope you enjoy the quiz.

      Hey guys,

      I�m back after my exams and this time it�s not a "F.R.I.E.N.D.S" quiz, instead
      it�s a quiz dedicated to the popular phenomenon called faux pas. We know it
      commonly as the foot-in-mouth syndrome. You know, those instances when the
      mouth is faster than the brain. All of the following questions are based on
      that, but of course, some of them are here on the strength of just being plain
      dumb. Enjoy.

      1) In 1958, this person made the confident prediction that "There is a world
      market for about five computers." Experts do, it seems, have a talent for
      making bizarre errors in judgement about their own specialties. Who is this?

      2) Still on the subject of computers, this is a real sitter, again a very famous
      person rather famously said " 640 k ought to be enough for anybody"! Just name
      him.

      3) "Anyone who looks for a source of power in the transformation of an atom is
      talking moonshine". A famous scientist wrote this in 1933 after a series of
      brilliant experiments that brought him fame in 1919. Who?

      4) "No reader interest." was the judgement of London publisher W.H.Allen on this
      book. To date it has sold more than 10 million copies. Name it and the author.

      5) X�s father addressed him this way: "You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and you family." Who was X?

      6) When producer David O.Selznick started to work on the film, the director
      refused Selznick�s offer of a share in the profits, saying: "This film is going
      to be one of the biggest white elephants of all time." Today the film is ranked
      as one of the highest grossing films ever made. Just name it and the director.

      7) Sitter. "He will never amount to anything", reported a Munich gymnasium (high
      school) about one of its pupils. What was his name?

      8) "Malaria has been licked" was declared in May 1975. Who made this declaration? [(Clue + the reason why this was a faux pas) Dr.Thomas Lambo was rushed to the hospital on the day of the announcement, the diagnosis � Malaria.]

      9) Sitter again. "Slightly bald, also dances". � A movie company official about
      someone. Who?

      10) " We don�t like the sound. Groups with guitars are definitely on the way out." All of us know the band about which this was said in 1962 by a records company.Name the band (just for formality) and also the records company.

      11) This must surely rank the stupidest thing ever said. This non-American NBA
      basketball player said this: "We all get heavier as we get older because
      there�s a lot more information in our heads". Just name the genius?

      12) The following is just for laughs because just one of these would have sufficed. But anyway, just name the person who was smart enough to say the following things. (Clue: a late Hollywood producer)

      a) "Anybody who goes to see a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined."
      b) "If Roosevelt had been alive today, he would have turned over in his grave."
      c) "A verbal contract isn�t worth the paper it�s written on."

      That�s all for now. I hope you enjoy the quiz. The answers when the replies
      stop coming. Bye and take care.

      "My greatest fear in life is that nobody will remember me when I'm dead" - Some
      dead guy.

      Vinod G