New to group, research interests are in message

  • sailor_tech
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2007
      Hi,

      New to this group. Name is Peter.

      I've been doing family research for a bit over a year now. I haven't
      gotten outside the US yet.

      Most of the family so far has been from Brockton, MA or Boston, MA as
      of the early 1900s. It's spread of course since then.

      Overseas origins include Vilna,Lithuania and Lublin, Poland / Russia.

      Family names include Gold, Golden, Goldin, Golding, Gouldbaum,
      Goldbaum, Landy, and Tattlembaum.

      Oh, I like the idea that at least new posters have to be moderated.

      Peter
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2007
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "sailor_tech"
        <sailor_tech@...> wrote:

        > Oh, I like the idea that at least new posters have to be moderated.

        Thanks. I really don't want to moderate anyone, but I have to, because
        otherwise this place would get completely overrun by ad span. I have
        to delete about two new ad spam "members" every week.

        Also, a reminder: this is a great place to post stuff, partly because
        you don't have to jump through JewishGen hoops to get permission from
        my gracious majesty to post here, but the readership is not so great.
        So, the idea might be to try to use JewishGen to get serious attention
        for yourself, then come here and have conversations here, as if this
        were your genealogical living room.

        Also: one thing I've noticed is that the Rootsweb DNA message board is
        very, very active. This is just a great time to get a DNA test and try
        using that to find distant cousins in your father's family tree.
      • louis
        Message 3 of 7 , May 21, 2007
          Hi Peter,

          I have GOLD, GOLDBERG, and BOLDO relatives from around Vilna, Lithuania as
          well. I have located my GOLDBERG and BOLDO relatives, but am still having
          trouble finding my GOLD relatives. Were your ancestors originally from
          Lyubcha, Belarus (a nearby town to Vilna)?

          In any case, I have had the Y-DNA tested of my GOLDBERG male line from
          Family Tree DNA (www.familytreedna.com <http://www.familytreedna.com/> ) ,
          so one possibility is that if you want to see if we come from the same
          Goldberg ancestor, you could definitely get a 12 marker Y-DNA test to see if
          we match. I am the Project Coordinator for the Calabria, Italy project,
          but still have many of my Jewish ancestors tested. This is just a
          suggestion. FamilyTreeDNA is a great company, btw, and the head
          researcher is Dr. Michael Hammer, of the famous Cohen DNA study, that showed
          most Cohen men from around the world do share a common ancestor, as
          predicted by the oral tradition of the Jews.

          The website to the company is www.familytreedna.com
          <http://www.familytreedna.com/> and they probably have a GOLDBERG PROJECT
          already, but if you want to join through my project, you are also welcome:
          www.calabriadna.com <http://www.calabriadna.com/>

          I would like very much to hear more about your GOLD relatives.

          Thank you,

          Louis Loccisano

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2007
            My Vilna relatives were a maternal great grandfather that only had daughters. Those daughters have living sons or daughters. Last name there was GOLDEN, or GOLDIN or GOLDING depending upon the census year. Not sure where his wife came from. I'll have to see if I can talk one of them into getting tested. With my luck I'll have to pay for it.

            I'm looking into the DNA testing. I'm adopted at birth, so my DNA won't lead back to my family. I've got a male cousin that's going to be tested though. (My father is dead, so cousin is closest male line relative.)

            GOLD family or GOULDBAUM before US name change is from Lublin, Poland / Russia according to WWI draft record.

            What is the difference between getting test via an existing project and just getting tested at family tree dna.?

            Peter

            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2007
              Hi Peter,

              I might suggest that you test your own Y-DNA too, as it could answer some
              interesting questions about your own biological father's line----it could
              tell if he is Jewish or not, for example, and show the deep origins of your
              own father's lineage.

              But sure, if you have one of your cousins test, that would be great too.

              Testing through a project, such as mine, will save you some $$. I think a
              Y-DNA 12 marker test through a project is $99, as opposed to something like
              $120 if you order outside a project.

              I have paid for many of my relatives DNA tests, and yes it can get
              expensive, but it just fascinates me too much to do to it:-)

              All my best,

              Louis Loccisano

              _____

                Message 7 of 7 , May 27, 2007
                  My pleasure. Let me know if you have any other questions.

                  Louis

                  _____