Family Tree DNA mtDNA test

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 11:43 PM
      My suggestion is this: get the HVR1 test. If that one doesn't give you
      a very clear answer about where you fit on the Jewish mom-line genetic
      family tree, save up and pay for a full sequence. Don't mess with the
      HVR2 test.

      I got an HV1 test, then the HV2 test, then the full sequence test, and
      what I found is that, in my particular case, people with my exact HV1
      pattern are probably closely related to me through the mom line and to
      no one else back 50,000 years. But there are a bunch of people who
      would have looked similar to me with HV1/2 testing who, it turned out,
      are not anything like me in the rest of the mtDNA sequence.

      If anything, I would just blow off mtDNA testing entirely until you can
      get a full sequence test. With any luck, the price will come down in a
      year or two and it won't cost that much more than what an HV1 test
      costs today.

      Also, this post is relevant to people with a lot of surnames, including
      ROSOVSKY, ROSOFF, BOLDA, and GERSHON in a lot of places up and down the
      Dnieper River.