BelaRusse Family Tree

  • kap
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2006
      How do you find out about the post revolution exidis from the area
      especially when the borders closed in 1910 or so.
      I know the Comunists kept excellent records as did the Nazis though not
      for public knowledge.
      kap
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "kap" <kapala_43@...> wrote:

        > How do you find out about the post revolution exidis from the area
        > especially when the borders closed in 1910 or so.
        > I know the Comunists kept excellent records as did the Nazis though not
        > for public knowledge.

        I guess the WWII records are available from Yad Vashem or the U.S.
        Holocaust Memorial Museum, and the newer records might be concealed by
        privacy laws.

        For WWI to WWII records:

        To U.S. -- Ellis Island records.

        To South Africa, South America and Australia and other countries that
        received the emigrants -- look under the names of individual countries
        and regions at
        http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/

        Also, it looks as if the Mormon Family History Center in New York has
        emigration records for many countries other than Russia/Soviet Union:
        http://www.jgsny.org/fhc.htm

        Maybe you could try calling them to ask who you call in the big Mormon
        genealogy library in Salt Lake City to ask why they don't have
        emigration records for the former Soviet Union. Maybe someone there
        could at least tell you where the records are located.
      • donna poissant
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2006
          Bribing the guards to look the other way.
          Carry a nice basket of roast meat and home baked
          bread. The guards could smell it and off the relative
          would go behind the guards in the woods. I just go a
          listing of records from one of the other genealogy
          people in Jewish Genealogy
          Donna grand daughter of Sarah and Jacob
          --- abell07030 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "kap"
          > <kapala_43@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > How do you find out about the post revolution
          > exidis from the area
          > > especially when the borders closed in 1910 or so.
          > > I know the Comunists kept excellent records as did
          > the Nazis though not
          > > for public knowledge.
          >
          > I guess the WWII records are available from Yad
          > Vashem or the U.S.
          > Holocaust Memorial Museum, and the newer records
          > might be concealed by
          > privacy laws.
          >
          > For WWI to WWII records:
          >
          > To U.S. -- Ellis Island records.
          >
          > To South Africa, South America and Australia and
          > other countries that
          > received the emigrants -- look under the names of
          > individual countries
          > and regions at
          > http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/
          >
          > Also, it looks as if the Mormon Family History
          > Center in New York has
          > emigration records for many countries other than
          > Russia/Soviet Union:
          > http://www.jgsny.org/fhc.htm
          >
          > Maybe you could try calling them to ask who you call
          > in the big Mormon
          > genealogy library in Salt Lake City to ask why they
          > don't have
          > emigration records for the former Soviet Union.
          > Maybe someone there
          > could at least tell you where the records are
          > located.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > (Yahoo! ID required)

          mailto:jewishgenealogy2000-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com