Re: Surname Question

  • Raymond
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "lynnh61" <lynnh61@...>
      wrote:

      > I recently found out that my mother's mother's mother, was named
      > Rebecca Canter. My question is, can Canter be anything BUT Jewish?
      > I hope someone can answer.
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Lynn

      Hi Lynn,
      Canter is also an old English name,meaning ' a man of Kent',hence
      Canterbury. The Cantiaci or Cantii, were a Celtic people living in
      Britain before and during the Roman invasion of Britain.
      They lived in Cantium now Kent.
      There are thousands of Canter's in the UK and I'm sure they are not
      all Jewish. My guess is, if you are not Jewish and have no knowledge
      of your great-grandmother being Jewish,then your great-grandmother is
      probably of English descent.
      Cantor is just the English word for Hazzan/Chazzan a Jewish musician
      trained in the vocal arts who helps lead the Synagogue in songful
      prayer. Cantor derived from the Latin 'canare' to sing.
      I agree with Arnold,that it could be something other than Jewish.
      Bye, Raymond.
    • Lynn H
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2006
        Thank you Arnold and Raymond, for your replies to my question. My ggrandmother and her sister, were also buried the day after they died, which is just not done in the Southern US. It's almost always 3 days. I thought maybe this was another "hint" that they were indeed Jewish.

        Still searching for my Jewish roots,
        Lynn

        On Reprisal: Do kindness beyond reason. Defy terror with beauty. Combat darkness with infinite light. -- Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson

      • donna poissant
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25, 2006
          How far back have you gone. remember names change.
          Some change because of nessity. Others change because
          they want to fit in with the community.
          other just couldn't spell.
          Kap

          --- Lynn H <lynnh61@...> wrote:

          > Thank you Arnold and Raymond, for your replies to my
          > question. My ggrandmother and her sister, were also
          > buried the day after they died, which is just not
          > done in the Southern US. It's almost always 3 days.
          > I thought maybe this was another "hint" that they
          > were indeed Jewish.
          >
          > Still searching for my Jewish roots,
          > Lynn
          >

          > On Reprisal: Do kindness beyond reason. Defy terror
          > with beauty. Combat darkness with infinite light. --
          > Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson

          > removed]
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • arnold baskin
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 25, 2006
            Unless they died from dieses that would make it necessary to inter them immediately. This was something that was done down south up to fifteen or twenty years ago. I realize this answer still does not help your query. I would suggest to try and get the death certificate from the place they were buried or from the city hall in the town where the cemetary is. The death certificate would also give their religion. Maybe this will give you some of the answer your are looking for.
            Arnold