I would like to know....

  • pici_98
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2006
      I have a question. Maybe a stupid one but maybe somebody can tell me
      something. I would like to know if a person has family in the past,
      generations ago that were Jewish, does it mean that that person is
      Jewish also? Thanks for any help.
    • donna poissant
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
        Being jewish is a choice of religion. Genetics proves
        that Arabic men and Jewish men share the same genes.
        Your choice is what YOU believe in not who your
        parents are or your ancestors where. My father grew up
        Jewish came to this country to become a Rabbi and left
        his beliefs at the factory. He taught his children
        respect for all religions even though he might not
        accept their teaching.

        --- pici_98 <pici_98@...> wrote:

        > I have a question. Maybe a stupid one but maybe
        > somebody can tell me
        > something. I would like to know if a person has
        > family in the past,
        > generations ago that were Jewish, does it mean that
        > that person is
        > Jewish also? Thanks for any help.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sharon A. Kaufman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
          According to Orthodox Jewish law, a person is Jewish only if he/she has a Jewish mother or undergoes conversion to Judaism. Conservative Jews follow the Orthodox custom with regard to defining Jewishness. And some Reform Jews also follow the Orthodox custom, as I do, even though it is not the official position of the Reform movement.

          Some Reform Jews regard a person as Jewish if he/she has a Jewish mother OR father, or undergoes conversion to Judaism.

          And there are even some Reform Jews who believe that anyone who is raised Jewish and considers himself/herself Jewish should be regarded as a Jew, even if he/she was, for example, adopted from a non-Jewish birthmother and not converted by his/her Reform adoptive family.

          None of these situations would appear to apply in your case. If you had Jewish family members in the distant past, but they intermarried, the likelihood that your mother OR your father is Jewish is fairly slim.

          And since you were, evidently, not raised as a Jew and do not currently practice Judaism, you would not even meet the most liberal Reform requirements.

          Unless you could trace your lineage so that it was clear that there was an unbroken chain of Jewish women (or men, if you want to take one Reform position) leading to you, then the only way you could be considered Jewish would be if you chose go through conversion.

          Sharon