A View of Shtetl Like from 1932

  • davefox73
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      I recently acquired a 38 minute DVD. It appears to have been made from some black and
      white silent home movies shot in 1931 in the shtetl of Novogrudak, now in the western
      part of Belarus, but in Poland in 1931. The film shows Jewish life in Novogrudak with clips
      of the Jewish Cemetery, hospital, old age home, synagogue, schools,etc. In addition, there
      are views of market day, stores, and other street scenes. There are some captions in
      Hebrew and English and there is Yiddish music that plays in the background.

      Even if your family shtetl is other then Novogrudak, the film provides some valuable
      insight in how our ancestors lived in the "old country".

      I will provide a copy of the DVD to anyone who makes a minimum donation of $100 US to
      the Belarus SIG general fund <http://www.jewishgen.org/JewishGen-erosity/belarus.html
      > between January 21 and February 21, 2005. Just email me a copy of the donation
      acknowledgement message you receive from JewishGen along with you postal mailing
      address. I will only be able to send copies to locations outside of the US and Canada via
      surface mail, because of the high postal costs. This is a SIG fundraiser.

      Dave
      --
      David Fox
      Mail to: davefox73@...