MOHEL

  • jesusfreaksanantonio
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hello, I am new to researching genealogy and have no clue where to
      start. My surname is Mohel. My dad was born in Texas of immigrants of
      Moravia (now in Czech republic). My grandparents spoke Czech, and I
      thought Mohel was a Czech name. I have since learned that it is
      Hebrew, and of course means the priest who performs circumcism. The
      name is hard to research because if I google Mohel, well, you all
      know what I get! What can I do? Could my great grandparents have been
      Jews that hid the fact?
    • patricia zonshain
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        i don't understand. What you want to know? What you want to know?
        According to surname trusted that you are Jewish.

        jesusfreaksanantonio <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hello, I am new to researching genealogy and have no clue where to
        start. My surname is Mohel. My dad was born in Texas of immigrants of
        Moravia (now in Czech republic). My grandparents spoke Czech, and I
        thought Mohel was a Czech name. I have since learned that it is
        Hebrew, and of course means the priest who performs circumcism. The
        name is hard to research because if I google Mohel, well, you all
        know what I get! What can I do? Could my great grandparents have been
        Jews that hid the fact?

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        p.z. grafica & genealogista
        (972) 054-4655375
        http://www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=patyzon

      • jesusfreaksanantonio
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          I want to know if I could be Jewish and not even know it!

          --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, patricia zonshain
          <patyzon@y...> wrote:
          > i don't understand. What you want to know? What you want to know?
          > According to surname trusted that you are Jewish.
          >
          > jesusfreaksanantonio <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >
          > Hello, I am new to researching genealogy and have no clue where to
          > start. My surname is Mohel. My dad was born in Texas of immigrants
          of
          > Moravia (now in Czech republic). My grandparents spoke Czech, and I
          > thought Mohel was a Czech name. I have since learned that it is
          > Hebrew, and of course means the priest who performs circumcism. The
          > name is hard to research because if I google Mohel, well, you all
          > know what I get! What can I do? Could my great grandparents have
          been
          > Jews that hid the fact?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

          > p.z. grafica & genealogista
          > (972) 054-4655375
          > http://www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=patyzon

        • berger3
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
            Dear Friend:

            You start your study of your genealogy with sitting down and talking to all
            your older family members, asking them what they remember and what they
            heard of the family history. Sometimes they will tell you that the surname
            was really such-and-such rather than what was written down at the point of
            entry. (The folks writing down the details were notorious for spelling
            things as they thought they should be). From this, you can see if there are
            any papers or bibles or whatever that could give you further information.
            If you find out that one of your ancestors was Jewish, you can go from
            there. It is always possible that there was a Jewish trader who married
            someone in your family (Texas?) and who forgot to mention his religion to
            his children, or whatever.

            Good luck,

            Rebekah Berger

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2005
              --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "berger3" <berger3@s...>
              wrote:
              > Dear Friend:
              >
              > You start your study of your genealogy with sitting down and talking
              to all
              > your older family members,

              Genealogy databases (e.g., Ancestry, JewishGen) can sometimes be a bit
              cheesy, but one good thing about starting there is that all the
              surnames will be surnames. You won't get all the stuff about whether
              circumcision is evil that you'd get by entering the term through Google.

              Also: I met someone named Mogel. In Russian, Mogel and Mohel would be
              the same name, because Russians substitute G for H, so it could be that
              you're related to the Mogels as well as the Mohels.

              Also: isn't Mogel a Mongolian word of some kind? Maybe it's one of the
              names that could possibly have something to do with Attila the Hun et
              al.
            • Raymond
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2005
                --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, jesusfreaksanantonio
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > Hello, I am new to researching genealogy and have no clue where to
                > start. My surname is Mohel. My dad was born in Texas of immigrants of
                > Moravia (now in Czech republic). My grandparents spoke Czech, and I
                > thought Mohel was a Czech name. I have since learned that it is
                > Hebrew, and of course means the priest who performs circumcism. The
                > name is hard to research because if I google Mohel, well, you all
                > know what I get! What can I do? Could my great grandparents have been
                > Jews that hid the fact?

                Mohel , there is a Czech word but the word is 'mohl'.Pronounced ['mo'
                as in moth], [not 'mo' as in motor].How do you pronounce it? An 'e'
                could be put in to Anglicise it. I should imagine if your grandparents
                spoke Czech, then that is where they came from.
                However I think the word is probably from the Hebrew and not Czech as
                it means [could]in Czech.
                So as an educated guess I would say your grandparents were Czech Jews,
                seen as they spoke Czech and had a Jewish surname :)
                Try searching MOHL.
                Bye.