It's been a really long time ..

  • Jeanne Gold
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2004
      since I worked on any genealogy or visited this group. Hoping this
      finds everyone happy and healthy. (I'm the "goldcrook" profile on some
      of the older messages).

      I was recently contacted by a man trying to find his birth father,
      William Arthur Gold, a Jew from OH. He thought there might be a
      connection to my grandfather who had been born in Columbus. None that
      I could see. However, I've been trying to help him find his family.

      Below you'll find what I've been able to turn up. I'm hoping someone
      reading this might have some suggestions for further research.

      1 Morris M. Gold
      b. 01/28/1891, Poland (on WWI draft registration) or Germany (on
      1930 census)
      d. Bef. 1946, (probably) Springfield, Clark Co., OH
      immigration: ca 1907
      military service: 09/04 - 12/22/1918, WWI, National Army,
      Quartermaster Corps (Utilities) to Discharge Corporal
      Occupation: 04/28/1930, Proprietor, Jewelry Store
      Residence(s):
      09/04/1918, 1425 N. Limestone St., Springfield, Clark Co., OH
      04/28/1930, 115 Brighton Rd., Springfield, Clark Co., OH
      Notes: have not been able to locate a death record but know he
      committed suicide after finding out he had cancer; can't find him in
      1920 census (checked N Limestone address and wasn't able to find
      Brighton Rd to check it)

      + Jennifer M. ???
      b. 1893 - 1894, OH
      d. 03/1955, Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., OH
      m. 1917 - 1918, (probably) Springfield, Clark Co., OH

      2 Janice R. Gold
      b. 1919 - 1920, OH

      2 William Arthur Gold (*)
      b. 07/06/1921, (possibly) Springfield, Clark Co., OH
      note: there may have been a twin brother who died at
      childbirth and the family may have named him Robert.

      + (1st) Louise Von Mengrinhausen
      notes: formerly of St. Louis, MO and she and husband had a
      Dairy Farm in VT; no success finding any surnames like hers in MO or
      VT

      3 Jennifer Gold
      b. ca 1951, VT

      + (2nd) Caroline Stone (partner)
      met: 1954 - 1955, San Francisco, CA

      (*) William Arthur Gold -- this is the man I'm tring to find for my
      friend John, who is his son by Caroline Stone. I have been able to
      collect a lot of details and still have a dead end. Here's what I have
      so far:

      Education
      University of VA, Charlottesville, Charlottesville Co., VA

      Residence(s), Occupation(s)
      07/06/1921 - 04/28/1930, 115 Brighton Rd., Springfield, Clark Co.,
      OH
      1939 - 1942, Charlottesville, Charlottesville Co., VA
      1946 - 1948, Charlottesville, Charlottesville Co., VA
      ca 1951, VT (with first wife and daughter)
      1953 - 1954, San Francisco, San Francisco Co., CA; Reservations
      Clerk, United Airlines
      04/27/1954, Firebaugh, Fresno Co., CA; Editor, Firebaugh Journal
      ca 1955, Music Editor, Radio Station (possibly Reno, NV)
      03/21/1955, 345 E. Taylor St., Reno, Washoe Co., NV (divorce)
      09/08/1957, Banning, Riverside Co., CA
      02/18/1958, 34 N. 3rd St., Columbus, Franklin Co., OH
      09/05/1962 - 12/19/1963, 2436 Revere Rd., Akron, Summit Co., OH
      01/13/1970, Box 358, Antrim, Hillsborough Co., NH

      Have had no luck finding him in city directories (OH, NH) and there
      are too many William Gold's (no middle initial) to try calling them
      all.

      Passing thought. His mother, Jennifer M. ???, remarried an H. F.
      Ullman. Have been unable to identify him either. She died 03/1955,
      Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., OH, but haven't been able to find her death
      record either.

      Any thoughts for other avenues to try?

      Jeanne
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2004
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne Gold" <gold@d...>
        wrote:
        > since I worked on any genealogy or visited this group. Hoping this
        > finds everyone happy and healthy. (I'm the "goldcrook" profile on
        some
        > of the older messages).
        >
        > I was recently contacted by a man trying to find his birth father,
        > William Arthur Gold, a Jew from OH. He thought there might be a
        > connection to my grandfather who had been born in Columbus. None
        that
        > I could see.

        Gold is such a common name that, unless you have some indication that
        you're related (i.e., someone went to someone's wedding), I think
        that you really have to start with a DNA test (your male Gold
        relative and the man who contacted you) to see if you're actually
        related.

        A DNA test might be worthwhile, anyway, for somebody who's looking
        for his birth father.