Jones/Barnett

  • chiken_lips2004
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2004
      Hi - I am in Australia and have only recently discovered that my
      Great Grandparents on my mothers side were Jewish. I am interested in
      finding out more about my heritage.

      Is any one able to assist.....would I be welcome in the Jewish
      community?

      thanks
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22, 2004
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "chiken_lips2004"
        <chiken_lips2004@y...> wrote:
        > Hi - I am in Australia and have only recently discovered that my
        > Great Grandparents on my mothers side were Jewish. I am interested
        in
        > finding out more about my heritage.
        >
        > Is any one able to assist.....would I be welcome in the Jewish
        > community?

        If you're a matrilineal descendant of your great-grandmother (she was
        Jewish, her daughter is your grandmother, and a daughter of your
        grandmother is your own mom), then I think that, technically, you're
        as Jewish as you can get and any synagogue would think of you as
        Jewish.

        If you're not a matrilineal descendant of someone Jewish, and you
        want to become an active member of a *very* religious synagogue or
        get married to someone Jewish or arrange to be buried in a Jewish
        cemetery, then you might have to go through a formal conversion.

        If you just want to go to services, then all you have to do is find
        the nearest synagogue and show up for services. If you live near any
        big or midsize synagogues, chances are that at least one of them will
        an introduction to Judaism class.