Re: [Jewish Genealogy 2000] Digest Number 122

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22 10:09 PM
      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Hanna Burnett"
      <icequeentx@e...> wrote:

      > HEre are the surnames I need help with - thank you in advance
      >
      > Koller
      > Kollerova
      > Cizek
      > Cizkova
      > Siska
      > Siskova
      > Bechnik
      > Bechnikova

      - when I Google these names with "gedcom," I get a bunch of Christian-
      looking family trees. So, these aren't really Jewish names. On the
      other hand, the JewishGen Family Finder has a bunch of these names in
      entries (example: a bunch of Jewish families looking for other
      Kollers), so they could be Jewish names.

      - How sure are you about the spelling of "Bechnik"? If use the DM
      Soundex tool to look for approximate matches in the JewishGen Family
      Finder, a bunch of entries for names like Peczenik show up. Maybe
      that's the correct spelling of the name and it is a Jewish surname
      after all.

      - Have you tried sending some cheek cells to Family Tree DNA? Maybe
      you're lucky and you have one of the common Jewish DNA types.
    • Crochetnyc@juno.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30 9:38 PM
        Hi, Hanna:

        The book Finding our Fathers: A Guidebook to Jewish Genealogy by Dan Rottenberg has the following information:

        Kolle/Koller - Universal Jewish Encyclopedia has biographies from 19th-20th centuries Hungary, Boheria and USA. Related to Katscher. (available in all major Jewish libraries).

        Norma Yaskoir

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!