Surname enquiry

  • bassoon12345
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
      Has anyone come across the origins of the name Orchover,
      Orchevic,Orchowek or something similar?
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "bassoon12345"
        <tonyorchover@h...> wrote:
        > Has anyone come across the origins of the name Orchover,
        > Orchevic,Orchowek or something similar?

        My guess is that it means that the family started out in a town with
        a name like "Orkhow" in the early 1700s, before the family had a
        surname, then moved to another town before it got a surname. (I.e.,
        if you have the surname "Minsky," that means you weren't living
        anywhere near Minsk when you go the surname. You only get a surname
        based on a characteristic that seems a little unusual, in my opinion.)
      • bassoon12345
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2004
          Many thanks for your comments