Re: Hello and Question!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2004
      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Cindy"
      <aoibhneach1@y...> wrote:
      > I am wondering if there is any way to find records of those who did
      > NOT go through Ellis Island. My ggrandfather came over before 1891
      > from Ukraine. Actually Ukraine to Germany to U.S. I am having
      > absolutely no luck at all in finding the existence of my great-
      > grandparents even though I know where they originated from, and
      their
      > full names.

      a) Have you tried the Ancestry census records?

      b) The National Archives has records on microfilm for all the big
      ports, not just Ellis Island. If, for example, you live in the
      Midwest, you might try Baltimore, Philadelphia and Galveston, Texas.
      Some ports other than Ellis Island, such as Galveston, have their
      records on the Web.

      Also, who knows. Maybe they had some reason to cover their tracks, so
      it could be that there's no practical way to find the passenger
      records, and you might just have to focus on researching other types
      of records.