Re: [Jewish Genealogy 2000] Hello and Question!

  • SMH
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2004
      Hi

      I have the same problem. My husband's gg grandfather and mother were German Jews who came over in the 1850's and changed their last name to Burke, an Irish name. I need to trace their records in Hannover, Germany.

      Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

      Stella
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2004
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "SMH" <jbcnmw@m...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I have the same problem. My husband's gg grandfather and mother
        were German Jews who came over in the 1850's and changed their last
        name to Burke, an Irish name. I need to trace their records in
        Hannover, Germany.

        > Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

        - What city were they in? Have you tried looking at city directory
        records or any other records for the town where they were located,
        such as census records?

        - Are there any unusual first names that you could focus on?

        - How big is Hannover? Is it possible that a professional genealogist
        who specializes in Hannover records could just here two facts about
        your family and immediately know how your gg parents must fit into
        Hannover's Jewish community?