Hello and Question!

  • Zach Brevis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2004
      Hello all:

      I'm researching my family history.

      Any idea how to find someone's records in Russia who migrated to the
      US in 1911? My great grandfather was a rabbi and immigrated to the
      US from Kochanovo in 1911 at age 14, but we think he changed his
      last name to Brevis prior to or shortly after the move. Brevis is a
      latin surname--hence our suspicion that he changed his name.

      Thanks for any input! Love the group...
    • Cindy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2004
        I am wondering if there is any way to find records of those who did
        NOT go through Ellis Island. My ggrandfather came over before 1891
        from Ukraine. Actually Ukraine to Germany to U.S. I am having
        absolutely no luck at all in finding the existence of my great-
        grandparents even though I know where they originated from, and their
        full names. I've run out of ideas, so would appreciate any help from
        someone. Thanks, Cindy

        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Zach Brevis"

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2004
          <zmbrevis@y...> wrote:
          > Hello all:
          >
          > I'm researching my family history.
          >
          > Any idea how to find someone's records in Russia who migrated to
          the
          > US in 1911? My great grandfather was a rabbi and immigrated to the
          > US from Kochanovo in 1911 at age 14, but we think he changed his
          > last name to Brevis prior to or shortly after the move.

          - Try searching using different spellings for Kochanovo, such as
          Kokhanovo. Look for people in that shtetl with your great-
          grandfather's first name and/or surnames similar to Brevis (i.e.,
          Borovich).

          - Go after your relatives some more. Somewhere, you have a second or
          third cousin who knows the family name.

          - If you have no other options left, you could try signing up for the
          Ancestry census service (or go to a library that has it) and see if
          your great-grandfather maybe had Brevis as his surname during one
          census and had another surname in an earlier census.

          - If worst really comes to worst, try submitting a y chromosome
          sample to Family Tree DNA and see if you luck out and get an exact
          match. If so, maybe that exact match person will be a close cousin
          and you can figure out how you're really. (Or maybe not.)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 17, 2004
            --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Cindy"
            <aoibhneach1@y...> wrote:
            > I am wondering if there is any way to find records of those who did
            > NOT go through Ellis Island. My ggrandfather came over before 1891
            > from Ukraine. Actually Ukraine to Germany to U.S. I am having
            > absolutely no luck at all in finding the existence of my great-
            > grandparents even though I know where they originated from, and
            their
            > full names.

            a) Have you tried the Ancestry census records?

            b) The National Archives has records on microfilm for all the big
            ports, not just Ellis Island. If, for example, you live in the
            Midwest, you might try Baltimore, Philadelphia and Galveston, Texas.
            Some ports other than Ellis Island, such as Galveston, have their
            records on the Web.

            Also, who knows. Maybe they had some reason to cover their tracks, so
            it could be that there's no practical way to find the passenger
            records, and you might just have to focus on researching other types
            of records.