Hammer Levite Study

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2003
      - You can find links (yay!) to the full paper on the Center for
      Genetic Anthropology Web site, at
      http://www.ucl.ac.uk/tcga/tcgapdf/Behar-AJHG-03.pdf
      and also on the Family Tree DNA Web site.

      - Important Point 1: The results in Table 1 of the new Y Levite
      article seem to suggest that haplotypes in Haplogroup E could be
      ancient Jewish haplotypes shared by both Sephardim and Ashkenazim of
      both Levite and Israelite descent. It looks as if the E haplotypes
      are rare both among the non-Jewish Europeans included in the study
      and the Jewish Cohanim.

      I don't understand Y chromosome haplogroups yet, but the Haplogroup E
      types seem to be as common among the Sephardic Israelites in the
      Hammer study as they are among the Sephardic Ashkenazim. The logical
      conclusion is that many Jews had Haplogroup E haplotypes before the
      Sephardim split from the Ashkenazim. Of course, the same seems to be
      true of the Haplogroup J "Cohen" haplotypes.

      - The Levi article at http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com says a
      careful, non-Torah-thumping reading of the Torah suggests that, even
      in Torah times, the term "Levite" might have simply referred to a
      priest or a religious functionary rather than a descendant of Levi.
      So, there might not be any Torah-based reason to expect the Levites
      to be patrilineal descendants of Levi.

      - My own mtDNA (mom line) pattern seems to be of Central Asian
      origins, but I'm not sure the scientists have really collected enough
      Jewish, Yemenite and Turkish samples to make blanket statements about
      where the less common types come from.