Re: 52% of Ashkenazi Levites have R1a1 signature

  • liberty1975
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2003
      The following scientists were involved in the Ashkenazi Levites
      study: Doron M. Behar, Mark G. Thomas, Karl Skorecki, Michael F.
      Hammer, Ekaterina Bulygina, Dror Rosengarten, Abigail L. Jones, Karen
      Held, Vivian Moses, David Goldstein, Neil Bradman, and Michael E.
      Weale. Many of them previously worked on the Cohen and general
      Jewish population genetic surveys. Their new study appears in the
      October 2003 issue of American Journal of Human Genetics (volume 73,
      number 4) on pages 768-769, and the title is "Multiple Origins of
      Ashkenazi Levites: Y Chromosome Evidence for Both Near Eastern and
      European Ancestries." This is the first published study on Jewish
      DNA that I've seen that credits Vivian Moses. You may know that in
      February 2000 I solicited Jews with ancestors from eastern Europe to
      send their DNA to Vivian Moses (and I sent mine, too); I hope those
      data were utilized this time. I also had sent to Dr. Moses in April
      2000 the speculation in David Keys' book "Catastrophe" concerning
      Levites so he and his team would be aware of it. (Keys had noticed a
      difference in Levite DNA in an earlier study and adopted Norman
      Golb's explanation of the Kievan Letter to the effect that he thought
      it was evidence that some Khazarian Jews had artificially adopted the
      Levite and Cohen titles.)

      In the DNA discussion group at JewishGen today, Howard Sachs raised
      an interesting possibility: Did the R1a1 signature get introduced
      into the Jewish population by a *high-ranking* or *prominent* Khazar,
      perhaps even a king or prince, who married a woman who was the
      daughter of a Levite man? And then somehow did their children also
      adopt the Levite title even though technically they weren't supposed
      to? Sachs thinks this could explain how the particular haplotypes
      got so prevalent among Jews of Europe.

      FYI: It doesn't necessarily concern the haplotypes found among
      Ashkenazic Levite, but haplotypes in the overall R1a1 haploGROUP are
      also found among some Poles, Russians, and Scandinavians.

      We have to remember that this study does not suggest that the
      majority of Ashkenazi ancestry as a whole derives from Khazars or
      Slavs. The Levites are only a small percentage of Ashkenazim, and
      Cohens and non-Levite Ashkenazim have a majority of their Y-DNA from
      the Middle East.

      Best wishes,
      Kevin Alan Brook