Re: FamilyTreeDNA.com tests and SOUNDEX for Jews and East Europeans

  • Alexandra Alznauer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2003
      DNA TESTING

      I founded a Surname Project with FamilyTreeDNA.com to
      see if all Male Alznauers are descendedd from a common
      male ancestor. The project came out great! We are
      all related regardless of whether we are from what is
      now Slovakia or what is now Romania (There was a well
      documented migration from our village to the Romanian
      one in the late 1700's.

      I also did a mitrochondrial( matrilineal) descent test
      myself and found a man who was descended from German
      Jewish women on his mother's side like myself. We're
      working our trees backwards and hoping to link up
      although the common female ancestor may be too far
      back.

      FamilyTreeDNA.com is the only company doing DNA
      testing purely for genealogy purposes. The president,
      Bennett Greenspan is a genealogist himself. They use
      a university lab for all their testing.

      SOUNDEX FOR JEWS AND EASTERN EUROPEANS

      There is no need to reinvent the wheel. The
      Daitch-Mokotoff SOUNDEX used by Jewishgen.org and
      Stephen Morse on his websites used to circumvent the
      regular soundex of Ellisisland.org are perfectly fine
      once you get used to them.

      Alexandra

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2003
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, Alexandra Alznauer
        <petiealz@y...> wrote:
        > DNA TESTING
        >
        > I founded a Surname Project with FamilyTreeDNA.com to
        > see if all Male Alznauers are descendedd from a common
        > male ancestor.

        My experience with FamilyTreeDNA.com is that getting results can take
        a long time, but that the company really is a legitimate company that
        does (as far as I can tell) good work.

        If you're already spending money on genealogy, I think it's worth it
        to get the best test you can afford, even if you're not going in with
        another possible/confirmed relative. The more results there are in the
        FamilyTreeDNA database, the better it will work at helping to
        reconstruct the genetic history of the Jewish people.