Re: HOLOD

  • Joel E. Natt
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
      I have some thoughts and suggestions for I have been there too.

      You might want to start with the US Census, depending on the year
      this could provide some information. This is also a good chance that
      they changed the name a bit after coming through Ellis Island.

      My great-grandfather came through Ellis Island as Schuster and then
      dropped the "c".

      There is the possiblity that they either entered through another port
      or canada, additionally you might wish to check in the links section
      and examine the link to "City of Hamburg, Germany Database Search"
      most families went through there.

      Just a few thoughts.

      Joel

      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "paah2000"
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
        <paah2000@y...> wrote:
        > I hve hit dead ends on my name for years. My grandparents
        > supposedly came from a town outside Minsk in the early 1900s. I
        > cant locate my grandfather on Ellis Islands.org and HOLOD seems to
        > be never found in any of my searches elsewhere. Any ideas would be
        > appreciated. Thanks

        For once I can give someone concrete help!

        In Belarusian and Ukrainian, your grandparents would have spelled the
        surname HOLOD. But, in Russian, which has no equivalent of the letter
        H, they would have spelled the surname GOLOD, or maybe Kholod.

        If you Google my Minsk Vedomosti translation site by clicking on (or
        cutting and pasting this URL into your address bar)
        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
        8&q=+site:members.tripod.com+golod+minsk

        you'll find at least six references to GOLODs.
        If you simply Google the string
        golod jewish
        you get 197 hits. Googling
        kholod jewish