Re: [Jewish Genealogy 2000] Hello

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 28, 2003
      JewishGen gives the rules at this URL:
      http://www.jewishgen.org/JewishGen/DiscussionGroup.htm

      Keep in mind that the moderators are very, very neurotic about
      sticking to the rules. So you'd better type surnames in CAPITAL
      LATTERS, put your city at the bottom, and suggest your relatives
      might have come from several different countries so that the
      moderators don't bounce your post and tell you (for example) to
      post to the Belarus SIG.

      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Ethan G"

      <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Seid"
      > > <dbdoglover@a...> wrote:
      > > > Hello Etan,
      > > >
      > > > I am also new member since a month . This list has been
      quiete
      > > since I
      > > > join this list .
      > >
      > > I have a 9-month-old baby, so I don't have as much free time
      as I
      > > used to. Sorry.
      > >
      > > Anyhow, what have you tried so far? What surnames are you
      looking
      > for?
      > >
      > > General suggestions:
      > >
      > > - http://www.jewishgen.org - This is a really huge,
      complicated
      > site.
      > > Even if you searched one part, chances are that there 3,000
      other
      > > parts that you still have to search.
      > >
      > > - http://www.google.com - Search for any reasonably rare
      surnames.
      > > (Example: Seid.) If you get the wrong kinds of hits, add
      search
      > terms
      > > such as rabbi, gedcom or century.
      > >
      > > - http://www.ellisisland.org - Zillions of passenger arrival
      > records
      > > online. Amazing database.
      > >
      > > - I hate the moderation at JewishGen, but it's totally worth
      > putting
      > > up with the moderators to post messages about the families
      your
      > > seeking. I posted my surnames to the JewishGen Family
      Finder and
      > some
      > > newsgroups and special interest groups. Even though I had
      the names
      > > wrong, one of my mom's second cousins once removed
      guessed that I
      > > might be related and emailed me. Result: I ended up with a
      great
      > > family tree for one of my great-grandmothers, and it's part of
      the
      > > tree for my great-grandfathers, too, because he and his wife
      were
      > > cousins. I've also gotten family trees for three other lost or
      semi-
      > > lost branches through the Web.
    • Ethan Gomberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2003
        I agree, JewishGen's list is moderated quite heavily, but its been very
        helpful so far.

        Is there anyone on this list doing research for the Ukraine,Russia area
        and/or Philadelphia?
        Those are my areas of research.

        Take care
        Ethan Gomberg
        Winter Garden FL USA
        Researching: RUSSAKOFF,GOMBERG,SCHULTZ,ROBERTS