Re: [Jewish Genealogy 2000] LAMET surname

  • Crochetnyc@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2003
      One way to find ancestors of relatives who moved to other countries is to use the on-line telephone directories. I'll use Argentina as an example, since that is the country I have most experience searching in.

      The first thing you need to find out is the city and province where a person settled in if you are looking for birth, marriage and death certificates. Without that, it's almost impossible. You also need an exact date of the event.

      To find descendants, go to Google. Put in Argentina telephone directories. Several will come up. Use one that gives the option of "todo el pais" (the whole country). Then put in the last name only.
      People who are listed who have the same last name will come up. You can then write a letter to all people who are listed with that name.
      You can also search for e-mail addresses the same way. Make sure the directory you are using includes "codigo postal" (zip code). Make sure you try all spelling options (ex: v and b sound the same in Spanish).

      To find if your ancestral name is a sephardic name, there are lists online. Search on google for "sephardic surnames" and see which sites come up. There are several. Then see if your surnames are listed.

      To find descendants in other countries, you can also look in the online telephone directories.

      There are several Sephardic mail lists (I know of at least three). You can post a message on these if you have questions regarding the surnames. To find them, put in Google "Sephardic Mail Lists", and they will come up.

      The best way to search for ancestry is to start with the present and trace back, generation after generation. Try to find out where your ancestors came from before they emigrated.

      If you have any questions, you can write back.

      Good luck.

      Norma Yaskoir

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!