Re: More on Jews in Ukraine Part 2

    Message 1 of 465 , Mar 1, 2000
      >But clues to where the commoners
      are<br>>buried have long since vanished. Jewish >gravestones
      often don't survive<br>>long in the harsh weathering
      conditions or in >the face of recent anti-Semitism by
      Nazis and >others.<br><br>I guess another problem is
      that it would not be so nice to dig up the bodies of
      Orthodox Jews who had managed to stay buried for more than
      500 years.<br><br>National Geographic had TV episode
      showing a young victim of human sacrifice who had been
      frozen on a mountain in South Africa for several hundred
      years. On the one hand, scientists have used the child's
      DNA to some really interesting genealogical
      anthropology. They actually found some of her living cousins in
      (if I recall correctly) Japan and South America.
      Think of what we could do with a little of Aaron's
      DNA.<br><br>On the other hand, this was clearly the body of a
      child. I hope scientists will get the samples they need,
      then put the body in a cemetery, where it really
      belongs. <br><br>>Sorry for the long tome, but you
      asked for the >information.<br><br>Thank you for all
      the effort you put into writing these posts. You did
      a great job.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003