Hello

  • Ethan G
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2003
      I am a new member.

      I was wondering where the best places to do research were on the
      internet?

      I know of ancestry.com, familysearch.org and jewishgen....

      any others?

      Thank you
      Ethan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2003
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Ethan G"
        <ethan_gomberg@h...> wrote:
        > I am a new member.
        >
        > I was wondering where the best places to do research were on the
        > internet?
        >
        > I know of ancestry.com, familysearch.org and jewishgen....

        Those are great places to start. Some other possibilities:

        - http://www.avotaynu.com (or .org, forget which) - Jewish genealogy
        journal

        - http://www.google.com - Great place to search for rare Jewish
        surnames. Try lots of different spellings. If you get too many hits,
        try adding one or more of these terms: gedcom, "family tree," father,
        rabbi, pogrom, hitler, jewish, shtetl, chasidic. Chances are that, if
        you're in the United States, Googe and the JewishGen Family Finder
        will show you that you have long-lost relatives in South America,
        Australia and/or South Africa.

        - http://www.vivisimo.com - Like Google, but it divides the results
        into easy-to-use folders. Good if you get way too many hits through
        Google.

        - http://www.martindale.com - Directory of U.S. lawyers. Good for
        looking up rare names just to see if anyone out there has your name.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2003