Immigrantion prior to 1890

  • Joel E. Natt
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2003
      I am seeking information on Immigration to NY prior to 1890. I know
      that the Ellis Island files only go so far back. Has anyone found
      any other sources.

      Actually, I am seeking anything prior to 1840 cause I found my
      ancestor in the 1850 census and know he was born approx. 1841.
      Espically from Holland.

      If you can help thanks.

      Joel
    • digging4roots
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2003
        Try your local Family History Center (FHC). You can find the one
        nearest to you at:
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

        Also, you can search their online catalog
        (http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlc/frameset_fhlc.asp) to
        find out what resources are available. It takes a little practice, but
        there's a wealth of information to be had there. Also, you will find
        there are always helpful volunteers should you have any problems.

        In the meantime, check out some of these and see if they will help:

        Netherlands - Archives and libraries - Inventories, registers,
        catalogs
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog
        /supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subjec
        t=364986&subject_disp=Netherlands_-_Archives_and_l
        ibraries_-_Inventories,_registers,_catalogs

        Netherlands - Emigration and immigration
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog
        /supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subjec
        t=343862&subject_disp=Netherlands_-_Emigration_and_immigration

        New York City passenger list manifests index, 1820-1824
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog
        /supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titlen
        o=531847&disp=New_York_City_passenger_list_manifests_i&columns=*,180,0

        Personregister över invandrare från Sverige till New York
        1851-1869
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog
        /supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titlen
        o=75805&disp=Personregister_%F6ver_invandrare_fr%E5n_Sver

        New York - Emigration and immigration - Indexes
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog
        /supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subjec
        t=662214&subject_disp=New_York_-_Emigration_and_immigration_-_Indexes

        and there are more ...

        Also, always check NARA to find out what records are available:
        http://www.archives.gov/publications/microfilm_cat
        alogs/immigrant/immigrant_passenger_arrivals.html

        What you are going to find, though, is most of this information is not
        available on line and you will have to do your research the old
        fashioned way.

        Good luck in your search.

        Jeanne
      • digging4roots
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2003
          One more suggestion:

          http://www.digging4roots.com/ny-passengers/

          and, at the very least, click on "Index".
        • Joel E. Natt
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2003
            Thanks for all the help with this puzzle.

            Anyway one other item I am seeking is a list of Jewish Temples that
            existed in the 1850's in NYC that still exist any thoughts???

            Joel

            --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, digging4roots