Re: Research questions re medical records

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2003
      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "thenomad"
      <alsfamilytree@h...> wrote:

      how do
      > I go about getting his medical records/death certificate, etc.
      Am I
      > legally allowed to access this information?

      I doub the hospital would still have the medical records, even if
      you could get them. But you can get the death certificate by
      looking your grandfather up in the Social Security Death Index.

      Link to the index:
      http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/ssdi/main.htm

      Assuming he's there, you write away for his original Soc. Sec.
      application form. The form could tell you his birthdate, his
      birthplace and the name of his parents.

      You might find out where he died (so that you can write to local
      authorities for his death certificate) from the SSDI database
      itself. But my experience is that the SSDI records where a
      beneficiary last received benefits, not necessarily where the
      beneficiary really lived. So, you might not get the right death
      location.

      Also: if your grandfather died before collecting Soc Sec benefits
      or was never part of the system, he might not show up in the
      SSDI database.