Re: Dobrinsky, Roz*, Sereb*

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2003
      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, digging4roots
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Was the data in a publicly accesible file, such as the FHC or NARA?
      If
      > so, then it's in the public domain.
      >
      > If it's data you paid for and paid for the transcription as well --
      > then you own the portion of what you have. At least according to US
      > law and what I understand of it -- data in and of itself (assuming
      not
      > put in some private repository or publication) isn't copyrighted.

      The data was in an archive in Minsk, or some place else in Belarus.

      Also, I gave the guy who really commissioned the research a check, but
      I just volunteered what I could afford ($200 - just had a new baby,
      sorry) and I'm not sure how that compares with the overall cost of the
      research.

      Finally, even if, in theory, I have the legal right to use the data
      publicly, I wouldn't want to do that if it would hurt the researcher's
      feelings.

      On the other hand, I'm hypocritical enough that I have no compunctions
      whatsoever about sharing anything I get with people who might actually
      be my relatives. If the CIA gave me a folder full of top-secret data
      about the origins of the Rozovskys, I'd be emailing it to my cousins
      in an instant. :-)