Re: Inquiry

  • Joel E. Natt <nattjo@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2003
      Allbell:

      Thanks for the information. I was looking for anyones personal
      expirience on this resource. I was glad to hear that you and someone
      else has had good expiriences. Now to try and reach the ones in Ft.
      Lauderdale (2) locations with crazy hours.

      Joel

      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, allbell <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Joel E. Natt
      > <nattjo@y...>" <nattjo@y...> wrote:
      > > Has anyone used a local Family History Centers run by the Church
      > > of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
      >
      > I've used the one in New York across from Lincoln Center. The folks
      > there are very nice and don't make any overt attempts to convert
      > Jewish researchers, baptize Jewish ancestors, or even ask for
      > donations. I tried to figure out how to leave a small cash donation
      > and was rebuffed.
      >
      > The Lincoln Center center is a couple of doors away from the
      > American Craft Museum (might have the name wrong) gift shop, which
      > is cool place to buy gifts.
      >
      > The one problem is that local FHCs are usually just outposts for
      > the main library in Salt Lake City. New York has a lot of microfilm
      > reels of interest to Ashkenazic Jews just because so many of its
      > users are Ashkenazic Jews, but chances are that you'll have to
      > order a lot of the microfilms, then wait a few weeks to actually
      > see the microfilms.
    • digging4roots
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2003
        I have happily used many of the local Family History Libraries (El
        Cajon, Mission Valley, Escondido and Los Angeles, California). I have
        found them all very helpful and informative. Now that I've gotten
        better at researching my own family, I have some of the volunteers ask
        me questions about how I did it so they can help other Jewish
        researchers! When I first started, they hadn't a clue how to help me,
        since researching our Jewish heritage is so different. But they caught
        on fast and we have a great sharing of new resources from time to time.

        As for the film rentals -- the amount of time it takes to get back to
        you depends on a number of factors. For example, is the film in Salt
        Lake City when you requested it or it out on loan someplace else? If
        out on loan, until when? Which then determines if they make you wait
        for it's return or make another copy and send it out. There are other
        factors, of which I don't recall any longer. Oh, another one has to do
        with the FHC making the request -- how often do they request films
        from the LDS Main Library? In El Cajon, requests go out once a week.
        In Mission Valley and the others, every day.

        Bottom line -- the delay is worth it. The film rentals are only $3.75
        for 6 weeks. You won't find a better deal than that!

        As for conversion - never be concerned about this happening. When I
        was at the LDS in Salt Lake City I was told it was against policy to
        do so. They are only permitted to talk religion if you come into their
        main temple and ask about it. I know on JewishGen there are some who
        claimed it happens all the time. Frankly after all the FHC's I've been
        in (4 in CA, 1 in MD, 1 in NY, 1 in NJ and Salt Lake City), I
        seriously doubt it.