Inquiry

  • Joel E. Natt <nattjo@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2003
      Has anyone used a local Family History Centers run by the Church of
      Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

      Thanks in advance,

      Joel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2003
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Joel E. Natt
        <nattjo@y...>" <nattjo@y...> wrote:
        > Has anyone used a local Family History Centers run by the Church of
        > Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

        I've used the one in New York across from Lincoln Center. The folks
        there are very nice and don't make any overt attempts to convert
        Jewish researchers, baptize Jewish ancestors, or even ask for
        donations. I tried to figure out how to leave a small cash donation
        and was rebuffed.

        The Lincoln Center center is a couple of doors away from the American
        Craft Museum (might have the name wrong) gift shop, which is cool
        place to buy gifts.

        The one problem is that local FHCs are usually just outposts for the
        main library in Salt Lake City. New York has a lot of microfilm reels
        of interest to Ashkenazic Jews just because so many of its users are
        Ashkenazic Jews, but chances are that you'll have to order a lot of
        the microfilms, then wait a few weeks to actually see the microfilms.
      • Joel E. Natt <nattjo@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2003
          Allbell:

          Thanks for the information. I was looking for anyones personal
          expirience on this resource. I was glad to hear that you and someone
          else has had good expiriences. Now to try and reach the ones in Ft.
          Lauderdale (2) locations with crazy hours.

          Joel

          --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, allbell <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "Joel E. Natt
          > <nattjo@y...>" <nattjo@y...> wrote:
          > > Has anyone used a local Family History Centers run by the Church
          > > of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
          >
          > I've used the one in New York across from Lincoln Center. The folks
          > there are very nice and don't make any overt attempts to convert
          > Jewish researchers, baptize Jewish ancestors, or even ask for
          > donations. I tried to figure out how to leave a small cash donation
          > and was rebuffed.
          >
          > The Lincoln Center center is a couple of doors away from the
          > American Craft Museum (might have the name wrong) gift shop, which
          > is cool place to buy gifts.
          >
          > The one problem is that local FHCs are usually just outposts for
          > the main library in Salt Lake City. New York has a lot of microfilm
          > reels of interest to Ashkenazic Jews just because so many of its
          > users are Ashkenazic Jews, but chances are that you'll have to
          > order a lot of the microfilms, then wait a few weeks to actually
          > see the microfilms.
        • digging4roots
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20, 2003
            I have happily used many of the local Family History Libraries (El
            Cajon, Mission Valley, Escondido and Los Angeles, California). I have
            found them all very helpful and informative. Now that I've gotten
            better at researching my own family, I have some of the volunteers ask
            me questions about how I did it so they can help other Jewish
            researchers! When I first started, they hadn't a clue how to help me,
            since researching our Jewish heritage is so different. But they caught
            on fast and we have a great sharing of new resources from time to time.

            As for the film rentals -- the amount of time it takes to get back to
            you depends on a number of factors. For example, is the film in Salt
            Lake City when you requested it or it out on loan someplace else? If
            out on loan, until when? Which then determines if they make you wait
            for it's return or make another copy and send it out. There are other
            factors, of which I don't recall any longer. Oh, another one has to do
            with the FHC making the request -- how often do they request films
            from the LDS Main Library? In El Cajon, requests go out once a week.
            In Mission Valley and the others, every day.

            Bottom line -- the delay is worth it. The film rentals are only $3.75
            for 6 weeks. You won't find a better deal than that!

            As for conversion - never be concerned about this happening. When I
            was at the LDS in Salt Lake City I was told it was against policy to
            do so. They are only permitted to talk religion if you come into their
            main temple and ask about it. I know on JewishGen there are some who
            claimed it happens all the time. Frankly after all the FHC's I've been
            in (4 in CA, 1 in MD, 1 in NY, 1 in NJ and Salt Lake City), I
            seriously doubt it.