Re: Inquiries

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2002
      --- In jewishgenealogy2000@y..., "Joel E. Natt" <nattjo@y...> wrote:
      > First has anyone every used the resources of the following website
      >
      > http://www.cyndislist.com/
      >
      > If so I was wondering what you all thought.

      I get confused about whether Cyndis List is separate or connected with
      Rootsweb. The Genealogy-DNA mailing list on Rootsweb is definitely a
      good, active mailing list, and I think a lot of the Cyndis List
      message boards are good, active regional message boards.

      > Second I am searching for some information in the Brooklynn New York
      > area for turn of the century list of Temples and other Jewish
      > institutions that might be able to assist me with locating
      > information on my Great-Grandfather family.

      a) The main branch of the New York Public Library has a spectacular
      genealogy section. It's open a few hours Saturday, but the best days
      to visit it are Tuesday through Friday. The city directory collection
      could probably help you track down old synagogues.

      b) There's also a Center for Jewish History in Manhattan, I think
      around 16th or 17th Street. I haven't been there, because it's only
      open on weekdays, but I assume it must have a lot of old New York
      synagogue info.