Inquiries

  • Joel E. Natt
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2002
      First has anyone every used the resources of the following website

      http://www.cyndislist.com/

      If so I was wondering what you all thought.

      Second I am searching for some information in the Brooklynn New York
      area for turn of the century list of Temples and other Jewish
      institutions that might be able to assist me with locating
      information on my Great-Grandfather family.

      Thanks for any input you can offer.

      Joel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2002
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@y..., "Joel E. Natt" <nattjo@y...> wrote:
        > First has anyone every used the resources of the following website
        >
        > http://www.cyndislist.com/
        >
        > If so I was wondering what you all thought.

        I get confused about whether Cyndis List is separate or connected with
        Rootsweb. The Genealogy-DNA mailing list on Rootsweb is definitely a
        good, active mailing list, and I think a lot of the Cyndis List
        message boards are good, active regional message boards.

        > Second I am searching for some information in the Brooklynn New York
        > area for turn of the century list of Temples and other Jewish
        > institutions that might be able to assist me with locating
        > information on my Great-Grandfather family.

        a) The main branch of the New York Public Library has a spectacular
        genealogy section. It's open a few hours Saturday, but the best days
        to visit it are Tuesday through Friday. The city directory collection
        could probably help you track down old synagogues.

        b) There's also a Center for Jewish History in Manhattan, I think
        around 16th or 17th Street. I haven't been there, because it's only
        open on weekdays, but I assume it must have a lot of old New York
        synagogue info.