trifling and annoying endless minutiae

  • botwinick59
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2002

      Subject: A note to the moderator
      From: "Steve Franklin" <franklin@...>
      Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:08:48 -0400

      Don't take this too personally, but your infernal rules are even more
      trifling and annoying than the endless minutiae perpetuated by the Hassidim.
      Is there some Jewish genetic predisposition to this kind of trivialization
      of human existence? Is rational discourse among Jews impossible without the
      kind of obsessive compulsive ritualization that should be confined to
      orthodox religious practise? Give us a break. Yahweh will not strike us all
      down with his lightning if we fail to capitalize the proper nouns. ENOUGH
      ALREADY!

      Steve Franklin

      Moderator's Comment:
      JewishGen has rules of netiquette that are provided to all subscribers.
      It is a matter of making everything that is published in each SIG
      consistant with these rules. They were designed so that anyone in any
      country - speaking any language- would be able to distinguish surnames
      from town names.

      We, as moderators, have a longer list of rules to follow and all we ask of
      our subscribers is to help us by sending posts that we do not have to
      spend 10 or 15 minutes on, trying to correct them. When there are 5 to
      10 letters to post during the day - that would mean close to or over a
      extra hour of our time. As it is, we already have to spend a few minutes
      on each one by deleting the extraneous lines that most mail servers
      automatically add beneath your letter - especially the "do you Yahoo"
      stuff from that server. And also those who hit the Reply button when
      responding to a post - actually send the entire digest along with it that
      we have to delete. That is, after we figure out WHICH post they are
      replying to because they have not entered the appropriate subject line.

      And when posts are sent in MIME or MIME-Alternatives, we get an e-mail
      full of giberish because each and every character has a code added to it.
      So a 5 line post ends up being about 60 or 70 lines of garbage. The lyris
      robot that we use cannot translate the MIME language and that is why we
      must reject MIME posts.

      So your volunteer moderators have alot to do before you get the finished
      product. We enjoy our work and hope our finished product will be easy to
      read - easy to understand - and provoke responses for those who request
      help from the JewishGen community. That is what we are here for......

      Personally I am sorry that you feel we are being nitpicky - WE have to
      follow rules and I do not think it is asking too much that we expect the
      same from you.
      FBM
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002