Fw: Boycott Ellis Island Website

  • Jeanne Gold
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
      Following message was forwarded from George Farkas to Jackye Sullins ... and then to me. I forward for those who are interested.

      == begin ===

      Boycott Ellis Island Website http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/

      Many of you are familiar with the Ellis Island records website but you may not be familiar with Steve Morse. Steve created a front end or gateway to make it much easier to search the Ellis Island records site. He had this gateway up at: http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/ellis/ellis.html . He offered many other parameters to search the Ellis Island site and it was remarkably user friendly in it's ease of use and search options. In fact it is the front end that Ellis Island records should have offered to begin with. Steve did a remarkable job and it's my opinion that he should have been hired by them rather than be threatened by them since he obviously has a much better grasp of what is actually needed than the people that designed the site. Ellis Island records org. has decided that Steve Morse is in violation of their terms of use and has notified him of such. He feels that it is not in violation but has taken the website down because he does not have the resources to fight them. If they feel this is cutting into their revenue, why not just ask Steve to put up a banner on his site encouraging donations or membership to the Ellis Island org.?

      I am including two letters here that can be copied and pasted and sent to (1) the Ellis Island records org and (2) to the sponsors of the Ellis Island site requesting that they change their position on the terms of use and Steve Morse's site and that they restore 'right click' functionality to the Ellis Island records website.

      =============================
      Letter to the Ellis Island Records Org. and the National Park Service note * please copy and paste this letter to a new email and send one copy to: historycenter@... and one to the National Park Service at: stli_info@...

      To whom it may concern,

      This is to inform you that I will be boycotting your website at: http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/ and will encourage all my friends and other genealogy groups to do the same until you change your position and allow Steve Morse's website at: http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/ellis/ellis.html to operate. I don't believe he is in violation of your terms of use and I feel the public would be better served if he were hired by you to provide a search engine rather than being threatened by you.

      I am also requesting that you restore 'right click' functionality to your website.

      I will no longer donate to your organization, join your service or purchase products you offer.

      I am also notifying the sponsors listed on your website that I will be boycotting their products and services until this situation is resolved.

      Shame on you. This isn't how Ellis Island, the National Park Service or the memories of our ancestors should be represented.

      Sincerely Disappointed,
      (your sig and email addy)

      ===============================

      Letter to the sponsors listed on the Ellis Island site. email addresses included at end of message.

      To whom it may concern,

      You are currently a sponsor listed on the Ellis Island Records website at: http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/ and this email is to inform you that I will be boycotting your products or services and urging my friends to do so also.

      This is in response to Ellis Island Records Org. decision to notify Steve Morse (http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/ellis/ellis.html) that his website is in violation of their terms of use.
      I feel Steve Morse was not in violation of the terms of use and provided a service that Ellis Island org should have provided themselves. It is also in response to their decision to disable 'right click' functionality on their website.

      Until these issues are resolved and you remain a sponsor, I will no longer purchase your products, use any services you offer or visit your website. I am sincerely disappointed in the actions of the Ellis Island Records organization and am sorry it needs to reflect upon your company in such a negative manner.

      Yours,
      (your sig and email addy)

      --------------------------

      note * please copy and paste this letter to a new email and send one copy to each of the sponsors listed below, I am sure some of these addresses wrapped, both lines are one single address.

      Compaq:
      CustomerRelations@...

      Genealogy.com must be contacted on their website at:
      http://genealogy.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/genealogy.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

      Kodak must be contacted online at:
      http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/global/en/service/contact/feedback.cgi?conf=/global/include/en/service/contact/contact.con

      Discover Card has no email address, you need to send the message from
      their website at: https://customerservice.novusnet.com/EMS/html/usemsform.html

      Oracle must be contacted online:
      http://www.oracle.com/corporate/contact/index.html?webmaster.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@y..., Jeanne Gold <Groupie@d...> wrote:

        http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/ellis/ellis.html . He offered many
        other parameters to search the Ellis Island site and it was remarkably
        user friendly in it's ease of use and search options. In fact it is
        the front end that Ellis Island records should have offered to begin
        with. Steve did a remarkable job and it's my opinion that he should
        have been hired by them rather than be threatened by them since he
        obviously has a much better grasp of what is actually needed than the
        people that designed the site..html?webmaster.html

        a) I tried just downloading the form from the Google cache (i.e., the
        stored version) at
        http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:YiaVAOx00QgC:home.pacbell.net/spm
        orse/ellis/ellis.html+%22ellis+island%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

        I couldn't get it to work, but I don't know anything about Java, Java
        Script, CGI, etc. If there are any hardcore Web folks out there, maybe
        you could make pirate mirror versions of the Morse page.

        b) It sounds as if the Ellis Island folks have been overly mean to
        Steve Morse. The least they could have done would be to solve the
        terms of use dispute (if it's really a serious dispute) by adopting
        the Morse interface as an alternative to the regular Ellis Island
        interface.

        One question would be: does the Morse interface take up a lot more
        computing time than the regular interface? If so, I could see why the
        Ellis Island folks would be worried about it. But then, in that case,
        the solution would be just to adopt the Morse interface as an
        alternative interface and charge a subscription fee that would be high
        enough to cover the cost of the extra computing time.

        Anyhow, I hadn't heard about this dispute. Thank you for posting info
        about it.
      • digging4roots
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2002
          First, to answer your question: the scripts and data used to produce
          the Jewish only results can not be obtained from the cache.

          Second, to update, I have a reply from genealogy.com:

          Stephen Morse's search tool have been valuable aides in your research
          and the research of others.

          The current issue surrounding Mt. Morse's Web site has been closely
          followed, monitored, and reported upon in the "Nu? What's New?"
          newsletter published by Avotaynu.com. Recent issues include details
          regarding this situation as well as responses from the Ellis Island
          Foundation.

          Please take a look at the following Web site for more information:
          http://www.avotaynu.com/nu8.htm#v03n17

          I hope this helps.

          Sincerely,
          Paul Burchfield, Genealogy.com Technical Support

          == end ==

          Read the Avotaynu article -- it's *most* enlightening.
        • digging4roots
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2002
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2002
              --- In jewishgenealogy2000@y..., "digging4roots" <Groupie@d...> wrote:
              > First, to answer your question: the scripts and data used to produce
              > the Jewish only results can not be obtained from the cache.

              Well, it does sound as if the Ellis Island folks are being a bit
              obnoxious. Maybe they feel they have to be like this to keep
              Ancestry.com, Genealogy.com, etc. at bay.

              Anyhow, I think the best strategy would be a fundraiser boycott.
              Instead of everyone completely abandoning the site, Morse supporters
              could contribute $36 each to a special Ellis Island/Morse
              supporter genealogy fund. Once Ellis Island allowed the Morse site to
              return (at least, for folks who pay for an Ellis Island database
              membership) then the Morse supporter fund would turn the cash over to
              the Ellis Island folks. (Or maybe, if Ellis Island failed to budge,
              the fund could pay its assets over to JewishGen.org after a couple of
              years.)

              That way, Morse supporters could make their views known in a way that
              could ultimately help the Ellis Island site, which is, after all, a
              great site.

              Similarly, I think the best approach to frustration with JewishGen is
              NOT to boycott it, in any way, but to make donations in honor of the
              hope that it changes its ways and takes a more flexible approach to
              mailing list moderation. (If you think it should take a more flexible
              approach to moderation.)