Re: Surnames

  • klezmer101
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2002
      Of course the late Dr. J.H. Hertz was the Chief Rabbi of the British
      Empire in the 1930s. His chumash is still used in many synagogues
      today.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@y..., "nattjo" <nattjo@y...> wrote:
        > The following are some of the Surnames I have been working with and
        > where I have traced them too.

        > Natt - Germany

        Is this your site?:
        http://www.nattfamily.org/relly.htm\

        If so, never mind. If not, sounds like that's someone to talk to.

        Also: if I search Google with the string
        natt jewish
        I seem to get a lot of good hits. But, of course, that might be
        because of sites that you or your relatives put up.

        Also, when I do http://www.familysearch.org (the Mormon site) with
        exact spelling off, I get a lot of Naths. They don't seem to be
        Jewish, but I wonder if your Natts might be related to some Naths?

        > Schaul - Savannah GA (Found records in the history of the Reform
        > Temple there).

        When I Google
        schaul jewish

        and

        schaul gedcom

        I get what look like some pretty good hits. Of course, again, it might
        be I'm getting hits for your own sites and messages, or sites put up
        by your close relatives.

        My impression is that Natt and Schaul would be fairly rare Jewish
        surnames, and that, if you can afford to blow the money, it might be
        worth it to doing a Family Tree DNA test at random, if you can find
        any men in your family who are Natts and Schauls and are willing to
        provide samples.

        Maybe Natt and Schaul only go back a few hundred years, and a Y
        chromosome test could turn up other patrilineal (dad line) relatives
        who ended up with different surnames. I.e., maybe brothers Avram and
        Yosef went to the name office. Avram paid a big bribe and got the
        surname Natt, and Yosef was cheap and got the surname Shmo, but Shmo,
        basically, is a synonym for Natt. Or something.
      • nattjo
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2002
          First I want to wish you and everyone else a Happy and health Jewish
          New Year. As a friend of mine put it

          L'Shana Tova

          Now on the other item thank you for your looking and searching.

          The Schaul and Savannah are rare and I currently have no sites up
          yet. I am working on piecing a site together for all my family but
          between work and school and other obligations it is slow moving.

          As for the Schaul and Natt blood that would be my father since he is
          the first and only meeting of the two. I wonder if I would have
          enough of the bloodline to matter.

          Joel

          > Also: if I search Google with the string
          > natt jewish I seem to get a lot of good hits. But, of course, that
          > might be because of sites that you or your relatives put up.
          >
          > Also, when I do http://www.familysearch.org (the Mormon site) with
          > exact spelling off, I get a lot of Naths. They don't seem to be
          > Jewish, but I wonder if your Natts might be related to some Naths?
          >
          > > Schaul - Savannah GA (Found records in the history of the Reform
          > > Temple there).
          >
          > When I Google
          > schaul jewish
          >
          > and
          >
          > schaul gedcom
          >
          > I get what look like some pretty good hits. Of course, again, it
          > might be I'm getting hits for your own sites and messages, or sites
          > put up by your close relatives.

        • diamondbeak
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 18, 2003
            Hi, my family are Sherman's from POland and Russia most
            of whats remaining living in the UK. I have built a
            website with my family names Sherman/Szerman as follows:
            www.familytreeofus.com

            Richard Sherman

            --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, "nattjo" <nattjo@y...>
            wrote:
            > The following are some of the Surnames I have been working with and
            > where I have traced them too.
            >
            > Hertz - England & Poland
            > Sherman - Russia
            > Natt - Germany
            > Shuster - Russia
            > Alexander - Prussia
            > Schaul - Savannah GA (Found records in the history of the Reform
            > Temple there).
            > Reich - Prussia
            >
            > These are a few that I have.
            >
            > I know that the Hertz's still live in England and am working to
            reach
            > a cousin there to get more information.
            >
            > I know the Alexander's come from Prussia cause of entry records I
            > have a copy of. Most records unfortunately where lost when there
            was
            > a fire in Savannah GA in the early 1900's.
            >
            > Please help if you can...
            >
            > Thank you in advance
            >
            > Joel
          • Joel E. Natt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 2003
              Hi Richard:

              Welcome to the group, I would be interested in exchanging information
              if it does lead to leads for you.

              Joel

              --- In jewishgenealogy2000@yahoogroups.com, diamondbeak