Help!!!

  • nattjo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2002
      I have been researching several branches of my family and while many
      of them I have clear entry records for and other items. I just
      encountered a large problem and was wondering if anyone else might
      have.

      My Great-Grandfather (on Mothers-Mothers side) was born in Russia,
      and walked across Europe to England prior to WW I. He was drafted in
      the Merchant Service by the British during the War and went AWOL in
      Brazil, then entered the US and was drafted into the Army. I can not
      find any records prior to his wife's arrival in the US of him.

      Can anyone offer me some assistance on where to look or other avenues
      available to me on this matter?

      Joel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@y..., "nattjo" <nattjo@y...> wrote:
        >I can not find any records prior to his wife's arrival in the US of
        him.

        > Can anyone offer me some assistance on where to look or other
        avenues available to me on this matter?

        If Klezmer is here, s/he is the expert here on genealogical
        procedures, but, anyhow, do you know if any of this ancestor's
        brothers or sisters came over around the same time?

        If so, maybe you could look for records about them, and maybe records
        or your ancestor will turn up around the records for the brothers and
        sisters. Example: if you found early census records for a household
        headed by a brother, maybe it would turn out that your ancestor was
        living in the same household, either under the name that you know or
        an assumed name.
      • klezmer101
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
          Klezmer to the rescue...

          I remember reading a report that WWI draft records were available and
          quite useful. I haven't ever used them, so this is second hand. But I
          would start with the Mormons and see what they have regarding WWI
          draft records.

          Also, it might be interesting to explore the naturalization angle. I
          don't know whether your ancestor became a naturalized citizen, but he
          may have filed his "first papers" prior to his wife's arrival. If so,
          it may provide a little bit of information (notably an address). Then
          you can use business directories and the census to trace him from
          year to year.

          A trick I've used successfully for naturalization papers is the
          following:

          1. Pick a year in which there was a presidential election, preferably
          a relatively recent year that you are convinced your ancestor would
          have voted.

          2. Hopefully you know your ancestor's exact address for that year.

          3. With that information, find out the board of electors that covers
          that address. For that election, ask for voter registration
          information regarding your ancestor, in particular the exact
          reference to his naturalization records. This will result in a court,
          docket number and other filing numbers.

          4. With that information, write to the court and ask for copies of
          all the naturalization papers.

          -klezmer, feeling masculine today...

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2002
            What I do have is the 1920 Census showing that my Great-Grandfather
            is a US citizen and I have the Ellis Island records for my Great-
            Grandmother who entered the US on the S.S. Olympic in November of
            1920. They both show that my Great-Grandfather was a US Citizen, so
            I will turn to the Mormons and search some more.

            I would be interested in a little more guideance on the Voter Record
            item you suggested. If someone has a sample letter or something to
            help guide me I would be greatful

            Thanks for the pointers and I hope we can work more together in the
            future.

            Joel