searching for roots (surnames)

  • graciesmom2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2002
      Hi,

      I did a few "tribute pages" for the different branches of
      my family & have them all linked here:

      http://www.geocities.com/graciesmom2002/Genealogy.html

      If anyone knows anything about the names or places, please
      let me know :)
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
        --- In jewishgenealogy2000@y..., "graciesmom2002"
        <graciesmom2002@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I did a few "tribute pages" for the different branches of
        > my family & have them all linked here:
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/graciesmom2002/Genealogy.html

        What a beautiful site!

        I'm afraid I don't know any of your names, but it looks as if
        Kantofsky is the easiest. (I.e., rarest.) Chances are if you track
        Kantofsky hard enough, zap!, one day you'll find a fourth cousin who
        has a huge family tree that lists one of your great-grandparents. So,
        don't give up. The thing to hope for is that if you're interested in
        genealogy, some other distant relatives are, too.

        Also: where else have you looked for the surname? Have you searched
        JewishGen really hard? What about the JRI-Polish index? I don't really
        understand what the boundaries for that are, but sometimes I seem to
        find my Russian surnames in there as well as my Polish surnames.
      • graciesmom2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
          I did post on JewishGen, this week. Kantofsky doesn't seem to
          really exist - the spelling must have changed at Ellis Island -
          have looked there....... (used to see the 4th cousins at Bar
          Mitzvahs in New York - didn't think to ask these questions,
          back then)

          Message 4 of 4 , May 17 8:25 PM
            <graciesmom2002@y...> wrote:
            > I did post on JewishGen, this week. Kantofsky doesn't seem to
            > really exist - the spelling must have changed at Ellis Island -
            > have looked there....... (used to see the 4th cousins at Bar
            > Mitzvahs in New York - didn't think to ask these questions,
            > back then)

            When I tried searching for Kandofsky on Google, it "corrected" the
            spelling to Kanovsky. So, maybe you could try Kanovskys? Maybe a
            Russian hard sign or soft sign was mistaken for a T????