Cool academic Jewish history site

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2002
      If you are like me and don't have particularly easy access to a great
      university library, you may have a hard time finding good Jewish
      history books.

      Too often, the history part of the Jewish studies section at Barnes
      and Nobles seems to have nothing in it but Gilbert's atlases of the
      Jewish people and 10 million popularized, generic, footnote-less books
      cover the history of the Jewish people from Abraham to Golda Meir.

      Anyhow, Hebrew University's Dinur Center for Research in Jewish
      History has set up a nice site at:
      http://jewishhistory.huji.ac.il/

      The bibliography section is nice, for example. Stephen Corrsin's
      Polish Jewish history bibliography search engine does NOT seem to
      work, but he does give his e-mail address. E-mailing him could be
      pretty useful, if the e-mail address still works.

      The professors' own pages on the site might be even more useful.

      See, for example:
      http://jewishhistory.huji.ac.il/Profs/HU/Jewish%20History/stampfer.htm

      Shaul Stampfer lists publications about many topics near and dear to
      the hearts of Jewish genealogists, such as old Eastern European
      censuses. Obviously a writer I'm going to be reading, if I ever
      overcome my sloth.