Re: unclear if names are what they mean

    Message 1 of 465 , Oct 16, 2001
      * " unclear if names are what they mean" - I
      think it's really hard for us to know what names
      originally meant. Even if we know the literal meaning of the
      name, we may not know the slang meaning. Or, a name
      that "means" something might have just been taken from
      the name of a town that happened to have a name with
      that meaning. <br><br>* Names (just Googling; didn't
      do JewishGen) -<br><br>1) Bernot - Best source:
      Alain Bernot, bernot@..., because he does
      research on Jewish genetics. If you're lucky, maybe you
      could get him to do free Family Tree DNA-type testing.
      Also, looks like there's lots of non-Jewish Bernots, so
      maybe the names come from a non-Jewish
      landowner/nobleman named Bernot. (Not sure whether Jews were ever
      named after noblemen and landowners, but maybe. Even if
      not, might be named after the same place that the
      noblemen/landowners got their names from. I guess.)<br><br>2)
      Kotzschmar -<br><br>Cyrus Hermann Kotzschmar Curtis -
      Jewish Peopling this (<a href=http://www.jewishgen.org/jgff target=new>http://www.jewishgen.org/jgff</a>)
      using the search term "kochmer" and the DM-Soundex
      search type option chosen. Got a horrible list of 282
      entries, but these possible matches: Cashmore (several
      places); Kuchmar (Harbin, China); and Kachmar
      for a consulting group owned by Murray
      Kachmar)<br><br>Dotty Ford request for Kachmar
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003