Re: die very quickly

    Message 1 of 465 , Jul 10, 2001
      a) When I saw the head "die very quickly," I
      thought, "Oh no! One of those flames that's going to test
      my commitment to freedom of expression very hard . .
      . " :-)<br><br>b) One problem is probably that the
      typical amateur genealogist probably goes through a
      1-year or 2-year burst of enthusiasm, then fades.
      by attracting anyone who had the least bit of
      interest in genealogy. Basically, everyone between the
      ages of 15 and 45 who was Jewish, interested in Jewish
      genealogy and Web-literate probably looked at
      percent of those folks contributed some kind of Usenet
      post, JewishGen Family Finder entry, or other message
      of to the world.<br><br>Now that the Web has become
      part of everyday life, the only new people coming in
      are the 1 percent or so of Jewish people and
      part-Jewish people who get interested in genealogy each year.
      There's no more instant Web genealogy rush.<br><br>I
      think the thing is that if people who posted JewishGen
      Family Finder entries would simply be patient and keep
      their JGFF email addresses up-to-date, they would
      gradually reel in more fish.<br><br>Example: I posted a
      JGFF entry for the surname BLANKLEDER three years ago.
      Just last week, I got an email from a BLANKLEDER in
      South America who told me about his family. I already
      some of the information from emailing with his uncle,
      but the main thing is that the JGFF entry worked long
      after I put it up.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003