Vedomosti Update

    Message 1 of 465 , Jun 1, 2001
      I've been talking to Norman Ross Publishing, and
      apparently I misinterpreted the list of gubernskiia
      vedomosti (official provincial newspapers) that N. Ross has
      available.<br><br>The vedomosti are the Russian equivalent of the legal
      newspapers published in many big U.S. cities. If you're
      lucky enough to find a bankruptcy or foreclosure notice
      or draft dodger list that refers to one of your
      relatives, it's a pretty cool genealogical experience. Also,
      even though they're in old Russian, they're a LOT
      easier to read even than English-language cursive
      passenger lists. My estimate is that every reel of the
      Minsk Vedomosti published after about 1860 (when the
      type got smaller) probably refers to an average of
      5,000 separate Jewish people. Some of the years with a
      LOT of draft and fine doger lists probably prefer to
      50,000 Jewish people. Some of the "wanted" lists even
      give stuff like rough descriptions of the people
      listed. <br><br>I have translations of a few sample
      lists/items at
      for a particular province, as it has for the Minsk,
      Kiev and Warsaw gubernyas/districts, you can buy a
      reel for a particular year for $100.<br><br>If Norman
      Ross hasn't filmed a complete run (examples: Volhynia
      and Poltava), then it's a big huge complicated deal
      to get an indiviual reel or year. You might be able
      to do it, but the reels will probably cost
      more.<br><br>The publishing company is trying to talk more
      research libraries into buying complete runs of the
      vedomosti for areas such as Grodno, Volhynia, etc. If
      anyone here goes to U.S. research libraries other than
      New York Public Library (which is already a good
      Norman Ross customer) with good Russian or Judaica
      microfilm periodical collections, you should really lobby
      them to buy at least one complete run of a vedomosti
      edition that no other research library has. If 10 more
      libraries bought 10 more complete runs for separate
      regions, then it would be very easy for ordinary
      genealogists to buy individual reels.<br><br>I guess the
      collections are expensive ($10,000), but it's not clear to me
      that that's much more expensive than plenty of other
      strange things that U.S. research libraries own, and I
      think the vedomosti should be helpful for everyone from
      Jewish genealogists to people who want to know what
      Russia was like the last time it tried to be capitalist.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003