Cuban Manifests

    Message 1 of 465 , May 22, 2001
      Here is an article about plans by the University
      of Florida to scan and index millions of pages of
      official documents in Cuban archives. It sounds as if
      these documents will, essentially, be the equivalent of
      the Ellis Island passenger manifests for Africans and
      Europeans who traveled to Florida via Havana before
      1900.<br><br>It sounds as if this will be a great resource for
      any American Jews who have Sephardic ancestors who
      started out in the Southeast. Even some who immigrated
      through other ports might have traveled through
      Havana.<br><br><a href=http://www.msnbc.com/news/576374.asp?0nm=N24F target=new>http://www.msnbc.com/news/576374.asp?0nm=N24F</a>
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003