Re: SIVAK - fair skin

    Message 1 of 465 , Feb 20, 2000
      a) THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!!!!<br><br>b) I'm sure
      there have been plenty of violent episodes over the
      centuries, but I think it would be interesting to see
      whether The Center for Genetic Anthropology study casts
      any light on the subject.<br><br>I'm sure rape played
      a role in transmitting genes from the non-Jews to
      the Jews, but it seems to me that there were plenty
      of communities where Jews got a long reasonably well
      with non-Jews. So it seems possible to me that
      old-fashioned romance and conversions could have played a role,
      because having fair skin decreased their chances of
      contracting rickets and other diseases and increased their
      chances of survival. If that hypothesis is true, then
      it's possible that the same environmental factors
      could have influenced the Jews who happened to move to
      Western Europe.<br><br>Example: it's possible that most
      of the Jews who moved from Palestine to France
      during the days of the Roman Empire had dark hair and
      olive skin. But it could be that the children born with
      fair skin were so much more likely to grow to
      adulthood that the population gradually became
      fairer.<br><br>Another possibility is that some of the genes responsible
      for producing a fair complexion sit near more
      important genes, such as genes that help increase
      resistance to bubonic plague. <br><br>c) I understand that
      this whole topic is creepy. But, for good or bad, I
      think it's an interesting topic.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003