Re: Dnieper -- River of Mystery

  • klezmer101
    Message 1 of 465 , Feb 19, 2000
      Can't speak about the east bank of the Dnieper.
      Certainly, there is a lot of speculation about the demise of
      the Khazar population. I do have extensive knowledge
      of the southern west bank, particularly the
      provinces of Volhynia, Kherson and Podolia. During the
      period of the Tatar (Mongol) invasions (starting ca.
      1450), there were virtually no Jews there, as there were
      pretty good written records at that time. For that
      matter, the region was pretty much depopulated of any
      ethnic group because of these invasions. It was only
      after an aggressive campaign by Polish and Lithuanian
      magnates to settle the frontier in order to claim the
      land, that Jews came to this area. This immigration is
      very well documented, but in obscure locations
      throughout the archives of the world. Except for the rare
      Karaite communities scattered about, the origin of
      perhaps as many as 99% of all the Jews in this region are
      from central Europe. An easy piece of evidence: one
      merely has to ask what language they spoke - Yiddish, an
      old German dialect. Odessa (and the Crimea) were a
      special case. Throughout most of their recent history,
      they were controlled by the Ottoman empire. Thus they
      developed a Jewish population different from the rest of
      Ukraine.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003