Re: Clever trick for finding records AND

    Message 1 of 465 , Oct 12, 2000
      Another thought . . .<br><br>Were your Golds
      reasonably well connected to the Jewish community? If so,
      maybe they put marriage announcements, etc. in one of
      the Jewish newspapers.<br><br>I forget whether you're
      in Los Angeles or not. If not, this might be too
      hard, unless you happen to live near a major research
      library that happens to carry microfilms of some Jewish
      newspapers from LA.<br><br>If so, or if you can visit LA,
      chances are that the librarian in charge of the local
      history or microfilm collections at the main LA public
      library or the UCLA library can tell you what sorts of
      resources are available.<br><br>If you're lucky, and you
      call off deadline, you might also be able to get some
      help from someone who works for one of LA's current
      Jewish newspapers. Chances are, there's some 80-year-old
      reporter, editor or business manager who knows everything
      about Jewish journalism in LA and is just dying to find
      someone else who wants to hear about it.<br><br>Here is a
      site that lists some Jewish publications in
      (the paper that incorporates the B'nai B'rith
      Messenger) and ask them if they can give you the name of
      someone with an interest in old LA Jewish
      newspapers.<br><br>You might also consider asking if The Jewish Times
      still has copies of the subscription list the B'nai
      B'rith Messenger used back in the 1940s.<br><br>Also,
      did your great-grandfather own a business? Maybe you
      could get some information by searching for any ads he
      placed for his business.
      Message 465 of 465 , Sep 13, 2003